News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Friday, July 19, 2013

Interview with Heather Hildenbrand, author of Imitation


Imitation
Heather Hildenbrand

Everyone is exactly like me.
There is no one like me.
The rough fabric of my cotton nightgown chafes so I lie very still. They say my discomfort comes from being built like one accustomed to niceties. How is that fair when I myself have never experienced anything but copies of the real thing?
My entire life is an imitation.
I am an Imitation.
I’ve been here five years. Training. Preparing. Waiting.
And now I have a letter.
My assignment has begun.
I am a prisoner.
I am not Raven Rogen.
I am here to die.


I'm super excited for this book!!!  Today I am lucky enough to have author, Heather Hildenbrand, here for an interview.  And then later this month I'll be reviewing Imitation for you!  Enjoy the interview!
*Liz





Hey Heather!  Nice to meet you, thanks for chatting with me today!
Thanks for having me!! So excited to be here. Well, er, virtually here. You know what I mean.
Pretty sure I get it ;)

So in a little bit, I’m about to read your book, Imitation.  Can you tell me something about this book that isn’t in the blurb?
Sure! How about this: the seven digit code sequences that are used to identify the main character, Ven, and her friends are all phone numbers from my childhood. Friends, family, etc.
Oooh, that's a fun bit of insider info!

What was the inspiration to write this book?
I was wandering my local library—because that’s what us book nerds do, Duh!—and came across a section on cloning. It sparked the beginning of the beginning of an idea and Imitation was born.

Heather, the cover for Imitation is stunning.  How did this cover come to be?
Thanks! But I can take NO credit on this one. I am creative with words. NOT the visual arts. *Angeline Kace, however, is a rockstar because she does both. (*Author of the Descended by Blood series.) She found the image and came up with the idea of the mirror font. Stephanie Mooney is the one that put it all together. I bow down to their creative genius. 
Now I bow down too! 

If you could meet any one of your characters and spend a day with them, which character would it be?
LINC!!!! From Imitation. Or Dylan from Whisper. But probably Linc. He has a motorcycle!
Motorcycles are definitely hot, for sure.  I'll try to remember you have dibs on Linc when I'm reading - but I can't promise anything!

So what is a regular day like for you?
Summer or school-time? I have two kids so I work around them. Summer is much trickier. They are home with me all day and running through the house, yelling, or whining because they’re bored and why aren’t we at the pool and I’m hungry and she keeps poking me and he stepped on my toe. Yeah. It’s a blast. No, seriously, most days, it is. I love that I get to work from home so I am not complaining. But I write in small pockets of time. Between fixing lunch or running errands or doing laundry. And I make it work. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
The ultimate dream is to be able to do what you love, so it seems you've hit the jackpot!

Heather, if you could have any job in the world – except awesome author – which job would you pick?
Stunt motorcycle rider for the circus. I really want to learn how to ride upside down in one of those metal balls. Seriously. I aspire to this when I grow up.
Fun!  You know, they call that the ball of death.... yikes!

Ok, now I’m going to give you $4,526,467 (I’m lying, really) What are you going to do with it?
Buy motorcycles. And then, a house with a big enough garage for all the motorcycles.
Call me Sherlock Holmes, but I'm sensing a theme here....

And next, if you could be any type of paranormal being, which would you choose and why?
A flying unicorn. Because my favorite quote ever is this: Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. And then, always be a unicorn.
Yes, that is definitely sage advice and a wise choice!

And just one more Heather – can you tell us 5 things we don’t know about you?
  • 1.       I met 3/5 of Plain White T’s last night after their show simply because my name is Heather.
  • 2.       My mother thinks 3/5 represents whatever measure of liquor I will drink today. (She is sitting here as I write this. And no, I don’t drink three bottles of vodka daily. Usually.)
  • 3.       If it doesn’t stop raining in the next 3 hours, I will watch Train in concert in the pouring rain.
  • 4.       My favorite piece of furniture is my dining room table. It makes me happy. *pauses to rub table*
  • 5.       My bucket list is written on my bedroom wall.


Thanks so much for taking the time today – I appreciate it!
Thanks so much for having me! Had a blast!



Heather Hildenbrand was born and raised in a small town in northern Virginia where she was homeschooled through high school. She now lives in coastal VA, a few miles from the Atlantic Ocean, with her two adorable children. She works from home, part time, as a property manager and when she's not furiously pounding at the keyboard, or staring off into space whilst plotting a new story, she's lying on the beach, soaking in those delicious, pre-cancerous rays.

Heather loves Mexican food, hates socks with sandals, and if her house was on fire, the one thing she'd grab is her DVR player.


Heather is a co-founder of Accendo Press, a publishing group she operates with fellow authors: Angeline Kace and Jennifer Sommersby. Accendo (a-CH-endo), A Latin word, means “to kindle, illuminate, inflame, or set fire.” This is something Accendo strives to do inside a reader’s imagination with every title released. For a complete list of titles and author bios, visit www.accendopress.com.