News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Review: White Trash Beautiful by Teresa Mummert


Title: White Trash Beautiful
Series: White Trash Trilogy, Book 1
Author: Teresa Mummert
Published:  July 2013
Format: Galley

Cass Daniels isn’t waiting for her knight in shining armor. She knows that girls like her don’t get a happily ever after. Not if you live in a trailer with your mom, work at a greasy spoon diner, and get leered at by old men. Maybe that’s why she puts up with Jackson—her poor excuse for a boyfriend, who treats her like dirt. Cass has learned to accept her lot in life. That is, until he walks into her diner. . . .

His name is Tucker White, and he’s different from any man Cass has ever known. Tall, tattooed, and bad-ass gorgeous, he’s the lead singer of the rock band Damaged. From the moment they meet, Tucker sees something in Cass he just can’t shake. Something beautiful. Something haunted. Something special. And he’s determined to find out what it is—if only he can get her to open up and let him in. . . .


I picked up White Trash Beautiful as a galley, and I am so glad I did! I don’t know if this was one of my very favorite reads, but it certainly was a great read!  I found it to be an emotional story full of hope, love, fear, and despair.



Cass is a young woman, I’d say in her early twenties. If it said otherwise, I’d missed it. Anyhow, she is poor. Dirt freaking poor. She lives in a trailer in a not so great part of town, and she works at a dive diner. She lives with her addict mother and her addict abusive boyfriend. Things look pretty damn bleak for Cass. For the most part, I really liked Cass. There was just something about her that made me feel like I knew her, and I wanted to know her more. She has faults – like making excuses for those who hurt her. But she is trying. She’s trying to get ahead and get out, and who can fault her for that? Between her mother and her boyfriend, Jax, there isn’t a lot of sunshine in her life. And sometimes when there is, it’s hard to see it through a black eye.

And then one day Mr. Sexy and Fine as Hell himself comes to her diner, and her life is forever on a new course. He tells her his name is Tucker White, and she doesn’t realize he is the lead singer for the band Damaged. She thinks he’s just a nosy do-gooder, who all too soon captures her heart. I liked Tucker. I mean, I really liked him. He had a hard past and a good heart. He rides a bike, he’s hot, and he has tattoos. He falls for Cass, and he’s persistent. Sounds like the perfect man to me. He never let me down, that Tucker.

This story was terrific. There were some fearful moments in dealing with her boyfriend, Jax. Every time he was around I was on edge, I felt like I didn’t know when he would strike out. I just got a little irritated when Cass would stick up for him, and stick by him. I know that abused people can feel stuck, and like they can’t leave – but that doesn’t mean I can’t feel frustrated by it. Especially when she admits to herself she is falling for Tucker, yet she is still with Jax. Move on already! Greener pastures, baby!

The romance was sweet and earnest, and it didn’t happen in the blink of an eye, which I totally appreciated. Cass was a smart ass, and Tucker took it all in stride. Totally loved that. There were many heartfelt moments, like a moment in time that you just want to capture forever. Those carefree moments that you just can’t plan no matter what, they just happen to happen. Near the end of the book, like maybe the last quarter or so, it felt a little bit rushed. So much happens, and some of it only received a very small amount of page space. I would have liked to see a bit more detail. But even then, I was burning through the pages.

If you like New Adult, and rock star romances, I think you would like this book. I don't have any quotes because it was an uncorrected galley, but the flow is terrific and Teresa Mummert is a wonderful writer.  It reminds me of stories like Devoured and Blind Attraction – both are stories I absolutely loved. So if you get a chance to check it out, I’d love to hear about it!

Find Teresa Mummert Online