News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review & Interview: Chance On Love by Vristen Pierce

Title: Chance On Love
Series: No
Author: Vristen Pierce
Published: January 2014
Format: Ebook received for review

Foul-mouthed curmudgeon Stephanie Love has one bright spot in her life and it definitely has nothing to do with romance. Being cheated on by her wealthy louse of a boyfriend, and making a (mostly unintentional) attempt at homicide, are the least of her worries. She's on the fast track to becoming News Director--until a corporation buys out the station she works for, that is.

Charming, gorgeous, and arrogant, Chance Valentine has little patience for Stephanie's smart mouth and her crass, overly outspoken personality. Nothing overshadows the immediate dislike they take to one another--except the intense sexual chemistry they share. When he not only refuses to give Stephanie her promotion, but gives the gig to her adversary, Stephanie's had enough. While she's busy making plans to use him to get what she wants, he has a strategy of his own. He'll make the grumpy temptress fall in love, and then he'll break her heart. It doesn't take him long, however, to realize he's met his match.

Through a series of steamy encounters, they quickly discover that even the best revenge
schemes can go off course...and lead straight to love.

 Ha!  Chance On Love was an awesome read.  This was my first by author Vristen Pierce, but I will definitely be looking for more of her books.  I found this book to be funny, sexy, rough, intelligent, and just hot.


Stephanie Love, our heroine.  She’s a bit of a bitch at times.  She calls em’ like she sees em’ and she takes no bullshit.  She’s tired of men like her ex whom she caught red-handed after he slipped and fell with his pants open and landed in another woman. She’s not had great luck with men, and I can totally see why she’s so hard on them.  A lot of people might be put off by Stephanie’s personality, but I loved it.  I found her fun, and it was great waiting to see what would come out of her mouth next.

When Chance walks on the scene I didn’t like him at first.  He’s the “suit” from corporate who is there to restructure the place at the news station. Whatever.  He’s playing games and keeping secrets, all while acting cocky to boot.  While he is incredibly sexy, he didn’t induce the tingly feelings right away. I thought he was a jerk…all the way up to the point where I didn’t think he was a jerk and I totally fell for him.  Chance turns out to be this awesome guy with an aggressive streak.  By the end he had me panting and totally in love.

This book has a lot going for it.  There is some super crazy hot and impulsive sex.  And you know what, it doesn’t use a ton of euphemisms about sex.  It wasn’t flowered up.  It felt real, hot and horny.  There was a lot of “Oh god, fuck me now!” feelings, and I loved every minute of it.  And I love that every minute they think they are playing each other and not getting emotionally involved, it’s really quite the opposite.

There’s a lot that happens in this book, and like every great couple – they find a way to muck it all up.  It’s terrific, I love the angst and loneliness.  It really made me feel even more so that Chance and Stephanie belonged together.  I definitely recommend this book to people who love a hot and freaking sexy book!  But be warned, this is no holds barred on the sex and the language.  If you aren't afraid of some real-tell-it-how-it-is talking, then you are in for a good read!

And hey, I also have an interview I had with Vristen, so be sure to check that out next!
*****************


Vristen!!!  Hey, how the hell are ya?  Come on in and have a drink, let’s talk about you and your book!
Hi, Liz! Thanks so much for having me!

Ok, today we are here to talk about Chance On Love.  What can you tell us about this book?
I originally started writing this story for a submissions call that a publisher was having. They wanted a spicy short novel with a Valentine’s Day theme. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and I knew I’d end up missing the deadline. That wasn’t really a problem because, by then, I realized Chance on Love would end up being a (much) longer story than they’d wanted anyway.

I recently read this book, and I loved it.  No, I mean, I loved it!!! Was there any specific person (or people) who were inspirations for Chance and Stephanie?
Woot! So happy you loved it! *bounces in her seat*
Stephanie’s her own person, but she does share certain traits with me and a friend of mine. She suffers from 1.) a horrible potty-mouth,  2.) a negative outlook, and 3.) an aversion to people, in general.
Chance. Hmm… I only wish I knew a man like that!

First, cause I just love the heroes in books, let’s talk about Chance.  I kind of hated him at first, but then I quickly changed my mind and was head over heels for him.  What is one thing you love about Chance, and one thing you hate?
I love so many things about Chance; it’s hard to choose just one! I suppose I’d go with his heart. Even if he keeps it hidden at first, he definitely has a kind one. Something I hate? Ooh. I haaate the fact that he doesn’t “get” eighties music. I mean, WTF?

And Stephanie, your leading lady, she’s a take no bullshit type of character – and I found her to be completely awesome.  Do you feel it was difficult to write such a headstrong woman?
The only difficulties I faced with Stephanie were other people’s reactions to her. I was basically told by an editor to ‘tone her down’ because she wasn’t at all relatable. Well, huh. Maybe she’s not relatable, but she is who she is, and I wasn’t about to make her change. Frankly, she wouldn’t have allowed that anyway. I mean, can you imagine? LOL! She was a breeze to write, though. This will probably sound odd, but I don’t feel…responsible for my characters. I feel quite objective about them—detached? Maybe that’s a better way to put it. They’re very real to me, and even though I technically created them, I don’t feel as though I ‘created’ them. They are who they are. It’s strange, I’m sure, but it’s nice. It allows me to just type whatever story they have in mind, and not stress, beyond that.

Ok Vristen, Chance on Love is SUPER hot and the sex scenes are to die for.  They’re not like your usual erotic romance; I didn’t find them to have all kinds of flowery imagery for all of the naughty bits.  It was quite refreshing!  Are sex scenes easy or hard for you to write?  Do you just go with the flow, or do you plan it out all beforehand?
Aw, thank you! It’s always cool when someone likes one of my dirty scenes! My very first story, which is still hidden away for now, had a fade-to-black. It’s hilarious how far I’ve come in regard to feeling comfortable writing graphic scenes, lol.

Until very recently, the only type of romance I’d read was straight-up romantic suspense. That was it. No erotic romance, no romantic comedies, no paranormal romance, no historical romance, no erotica, not even regular contemporary romance…just romantic suspense. So I’m never sure if what I’m writing is within the usual guidelines of what other folks are doing. I just go with it. I have a rebellious spirit, though, so I never questioned it.

Sex scenes are no more difficult than anything else (now—they were awkward to even think of writing, at first). I know one of the writing “rules” is to write every day, whether you feel like it or not. Perhaps it’s the rebel coming through, but I can’t even entertain the notion of doing that. I write when the characters are in the mood to tell me something. Otherwise, I’m just staring at a blank screen, lost. When that happens, I figure, “Hell, I could be watching clips of baby animals on YouTube or something.”

I’m definitely a ‘go with the flow’ kind of chick, always. I attempted to write with an outline once. Um, let’s just say I was constantly updating the freakin’ outline to match whatever it was I’d actually written.
For Chance and Stephanie, it would have been difficult for me to have much flowery imagery anyway. Those two didn’t even like each other during their first few, ahem, encounters. LOL, I mean, they weren’t making love, at that point. They were f— Finding ways of enjoying themselves physically. Yes, that’s it. That’s what I was going to say. Hehe.

Is there any chance we will see Chance and Stephanie in another book?
I’ve mulled over giving Chance’s siblings their own stories, so Chance and Stephanie would undoubtedly make appearances in those books. And Stephanie comes from a big family, none of whom we got to meet in Chance on Love—there’s a lot of opportunity to have many visits from my bickering couple!

Are you working on any other projects you can tell us about?
Right now, I’m in the editing stages of a story with the most dominant hero I’ve ever written. It’s definitely…different, for me. This year should be busy, if I stop procrastinating and stay on track. I’m hoping to stick to a monthly release schedule. Wish me luck, y’all!

From your own books, which character would you like to spend 3 days with, and why?
You ask some tough questions, woman! Hmm. I guess I’ll say Stephanie. We could listen to eighties music, grumble and bitch about people, and maybe I could help her plan her wedding. She’s going to need a lot of help, lol.

So what is a day in the life of Vristen Pierce like?
It could be like anything—I don’t really have typical days. My work schedule is insane, with hours apt to change at a moment’s notice. If I’m not working, though, then I’m usually writing. I’m an introvert so I tend to stay to myself as much as possible. I do have my rare, rare social phases, however. Those last for, like, no time at all. Blink and you’ll miss ‘em.

And what is the most interesting thing we would find in the bottom of your purse?
Lately, I’ve stopped carrying a purse. When I did, though, there was nothing interesting in there. At all. I tend to keep receipts for a ridiculously long time so those suckers will just pile up in my purses. Interesting, right? Heh.

Ok, I think I’ll let you off the hook for today.  Thanks for sitting and talking with me today!!
Thank you so much for having me. I ‘Love’ having a ‘Chance’ to chat with you! :-D



Introverted animal lover with terrifyingly eclectic tastes in music. Unrepentant reality show sometimes-watcher who also suffers semi-regular relapses with her once raging General Hospital addiction. She loves words, books, and romance...so she combined them. She has written for Grand Central Publishing's Forever Yours line, but is now ready to dive into the self-publishing waters!

Vristen is an Oklahoma girl, born and raised. She will likely never fail to find some way to work at least one critter of some sort into a book. She's hard at work getting more of the characters and stories in her head to come to life (well, sort of.)

Find Vristen Online