News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Review: Believe by Erin McCarthy

Title: Believe
Series: True Believers #3
Author: Erin McCarthy
Published: January 21, 2014 - Penguin
Format: Galley from NetGalley - Thank you Penguin!

Robin used to be a party girl… until she got black out drunk and woke up in bed with her best friend's boyfriend. Now she's faced with being THAT girl, and couldn't be more disgusted with herself. She can't even tell her friends the reason for her sudden sobriety and she avoids everyone until she meets Phoenix—quiet, tattooed, and different in every way that's good and oh, so bad…

Phoenix is two days out of jail when he meets Robin at his cousin's house, and he knows that he has no business talking to her, but he's drawn to her quiet demeanor, sweet smile, and artistic talent. She doesn't care that he's done time, or that he only has five bucks to his name, and she supports his goal to be a tattoo artist.

But Phoenix knows Robin has a secret, and that it's a naïve dream to believe that his record won't catch up with them at some point. Though neither is prepared for the explosive result when the past collides with the present…


So I recently read Believe by Erin McCarthy, and I loved it. I mean, how could I not? This series seriously kicks ass. Believe has a completely different feel, and I was hooked and read the book as fast as I could.


She tasted sweet and delicious and like mine, all mine.

Robin, as people who follow this series know, is a bit wild. She drinks, she parties, she dresses the part of a party girl. And then one day she wakes up in bed with one of her friend’s boyfriend – and he’s not sorry. This catastrophe propels Robin into massive change. She stops partying, she stops hanging out, she stops everything she associates with any thing good as she basically punishes herself all summer. And then one day while she is visiting Jessica, she gets the 3rd degree as to what the hell is going on. That’s when she meets Riley’s cousin, Phoenix.

Ahhh, Phoenix. He’s just out of jail, so he’s definitely got that “bad boy” vibe. He’s related to Riley and Tyler, so we already know he’s gifted in the looks department. Plus he’s intense. Phoenix has some anger issues, and he sometimes has trouble controlling his temper. But as soon as he meets Robin, he’s drawn to her. And I’m drawn to him – and so is Robin. Sparks and cute text messages fly, and before you know it, they’re spending time together.

Oh damn, I was in trouble. If I had any sense at all, I would the hell out of there and never come back. But a cactus isn’t going to tell a rainstorm to go fuck itself. I had never had anyone offer me this sort of innocent friendship. I wanted it like the greedy motherfucker that I was.

I love how their relationship began, pretty much innocent. They both see something in each other that they feel in themselves; things aren’t quite right, but everyone needs company. And their fall into love quick and easy. They spend time doing things like sketching, since they are both artists. They watch movies, go on picnics, and just learn about each other. They can relax around each other, and I loved it.

This whole book was a treat. Even when things went to hell, and my heart broke for them, I was holding out for that HEA. Robin and Phoenix just fit, and it was great to watch them realize that, too. They need each other and they take care of each other, and they are truly each other’s other half. This is New Adult, so there is some steamer moments, and between these two, those moments are definitely sexy. The kisses, the sex, the teasing, the plain ol’ wanting and waiting – I loved it all.

This book is told from both POV’s, and that’ s just how I like it. You get to see everything, and feel everything, and you don’t get that lost feeling of “What if?” Erin McCarthy can’t do anything wrong in my mind at this point, I’m loving every book she puts out and I can’t wait for the next.


Find Erin McCarthy Online

Previous Posts on Fictional Candy



Believe