News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Review: WitchCraft by Emma Mills


Title: WitchCraft
Series: WitchBlood #2
Author: Emma Mills
Published: June 2012
Tour: No
Format: Ebook provided by author for review

Jess is no ordinary vampire. Protected by the Manchester vampire clan, and initiated by her family’s east coast American coven, she is sought after by every dark witch and warring vampire faction. Jess must fight if she wants to keep hold of her friends, her sanity and finally her existence.

As the dead bodies of human girls begin to stack up, and her recently accepted vampire boyfriend, Daniel, finds himself in prison, Jess goes on a crazy, forbidden trip to London, racing against time to save an old friend and solve the mystery behind Daniel’s incarceration. In battling new enemies and finding new friends, Jess’s confidence finds room to grow, but who will she lose along the way?

Witchcraft is book two in the series, and honestly – I wasn’t sure how I was going to like it. I really enjoyed book one, Witchblood, but sometimes the second book can fall flat. That is not the case with Witchcraft! It is definitely a terrific addition to the series.

The book starts out with action, and it keeps the pace up the entire book through, and that’s just how I like it. There is still plenty of things going on in Jess’s life; she's still learning about all of her abilities - vampiric and witch. At times I thought it was just gratuitous action possibly, like the events were so short that they didn’t really feel like they belonged. However, they did do a good job of either introducing new characters or giving background and history for some events to happen later. So even though at the time it felt a little bit short, it wasn’t later when everything came together.

I also think that Jess’s character has grown quite a bit. It’s not like this book takes place far in the future, she’s still only a couple months into her new life. But she is definitely not as whiney and she is also more independent with her actions and her thought process. I definitely liked that, and it keeps me excited for book three, WitchLove.

Romance still isn’t really a focus in this series, which is also a welcome change. I read a lot of romance, so its nice to have something that puts it on the second string. However, with that said, I would love to see a novella or something with Jess and Daniel. Why? Because I feel bad for Daniel! He is really kind of getting the short stick in all of this. He loves Jess right away and expects a future with her, but her ability to have free will really throws a wrench in that. In book two things aren’t much different. She professes her love, but I don’t really think she proves it at all. I can understand all of Daniel’s insecurities regarding Jess and her heart. So yes, I feel bad for the vampire.

I am definitely enjoying this series. The reading goes fast and I find myself itching to start the third book right away. Unfortunately I have to wait a couple days. But I do have a review post on the Witchblood tour coming up later this month, so definitely come back and check it out then!

Find Emma Online


Previous Posts: