News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Real really did it for me! (Katy Evans)

Title: Real
Series: Real #1
Author: Katy Evans
Published: April 2013
Format: Galley

A fallen boxer.
A woman with a broken dream.
A competition…

He even makes me forget my name. One night was all it took, and I forgot everything and anything except the sexy fighter in the ring who sets my mind ablaze and my body on fire with wanting…

Remington Tate is the strongest, most confusing man I’ve ever met in my life.

He’s the star of the dangerous underground fighting circuit, and I’m drawn to him as I’ve never been drawn to anything in my life. I forget who I am, what I want, with just one look from him. When he’s near, I need to remind myself that I am strong–but he is stronger. And now it’s my job to keep his body working like a perfect machine, his taut muscles primed and ready to break the bones of his next opponents . . .

But the one he’s most threatening to, now, is me.

I want him. I want him without fear. Without reservations.

If only I knew for sure what it is that he wants from me?

Wow.  This book.  Wow.

I'd seen reviews on this series from the awesome Nomi's Paranormal Palace, and I'd been positively obsessed ever since.  Then recently I saw this book being offered up on NetGalley and I jumped at the chance.  And whew, am I ever glad.  Real was amazing.



The beginning starts with Remy in the ring, fighting.  Brooke is the "good girl" in the audience, captivated by his prowess. Sound familiar?  Maybe.  But that's where it ends.  Remy sees Brooke, too.  Then he sees her leave, and suddenly he ends the fight and is chasing after her.  This whole moment in time was my first - and definitely not my last - swoon for this emotional and impulsive man.

So Brooke, she's pretty interesting.  She used to be an Olympic hopeful before a nasty injury changed her life forever. But she has taken that negative and turned it into a positive, recently graduating school to be a sports therapist.  I really like that, that she didn't let it beat her.  I mean, sure, it depresses her and makes her wish for what could have been.  But when life hands you lemons, sometimes you have to chuck them back and life and tell it to make it's own damn lemonade, because you've got shit to do.  And that's how Brooke is to me, she is taking care of business.... well, if she could get some business.  There were some instances where I didn't like her, but that made her more real for me.

And Remy - omigosh. It's no secret I love a damaged hero.  Remy fits that bill in so many ways.  Brooke often compares him to a lion, and I have to agree.  He is a complete lion on the outside, ready to rip the enemy to shreds.  But on the inside he is still kind of like a kitten who wants to cuddle.  He needs love, and that's where Brooke comes in. Remy has some.... well, in order to not spoil it, we will say issues.  He has trouble relating to a lot of people, and he comes off sometimes like a bit of a bull in a china shop.  But with Brooke, he speaks to her with music, and it is one of the most heart-melting things you've ever seen.  Their "conversations" will make you fall in love with both of them, I'm sure.

So Remy is a fighter, and Brooke is a sports therapist.  It's not hard to see where that correlation will lead.  And life on the road proves to have many twists and turns.  It's quite a journey to take with them, and you meet some pretty interesting people along the way like Mel (Brooke's bestie), and Riley and Pete (part of Remy's entourage).  Really - every character in this book was awesome (or completely disgusting!) in one way or another.  The whole storyline of Remy's fighting rival is definitely interesting and kept me glued to the edge of my seat.  And hey - if you are looking for intensity and heat, don't worry - you will get that. The intimacy this couple shared was positively sweat inducing and toe curling!

In the end, I found this book to be very emotional.  Remy's issues mixed with Brooke's own issues was a bit of oil and vinegar at some times, and a complete match at others.  When it came down to it, and it was a fight or flight situation for the couple, something happened that really upset me and made me not like a character.  I'm not telling you who or what, but suffice it to say I was cussing up a storm until it righted itself.  This book had a lot of action and tension, which I love.  But it's the quiet moments between Brooke and Remy that really drew me in.  I'm an instant Katy Evans fan, and I can't wait to read the rest of this series!