News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Kult - Shaun Jeffrey

Title: The Kult (Kindle) (Print) (Nook)
Author: Shaun Jeffrey


Format: Ebook provided by author for review


Notable Websites Related to book:
The Kult, Movie
The Kult, Amazon UK
The Kult, Smashwords
The Kult, Movie Trailer


From Amazon:
People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill.

Out of misguided loyalty, police officer Prosper Snow is goaded into helping his friends perform a copycat killing, but when the real killer comes after him, it's not only his life on the line, but his family's too. Now if he goes to his colleagues for help, he risks being arrested for murder. If he doesn't, he risks being killed.



"People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill."
"Look out, look out, there's a monster about."


And a quote I'm totally ripping off from a friend, but fits this book so perfectly: "The scariest monsters have human faces". 


This book was scary.  The beginning was pure horror.  10% into the book, and I was afraid to leave the house.  At one point near the beginning, I almost put the book down saying "no more".  But I didn't.  Putting the book down doesn't make the monster go away. 


Vengeance, Retribution, Bait... There's a lot of reasons to kill.  Detective Prosper Snow (coolest name ever, by the way) is now on a case to find The Oracle.  No one is safe from this serial killer.  If he gets ahold of you, you are definitely going to wish you were never born. 


I really enjoyed this book.  It had some very strong elements of horror.  In fact, I wouldn't recommend it for the very faint of heart or easily offended - unless you can skip over some parts.  In which case, you should get it, because the rest of the book is definitely worth withstanding some very scary parts.  


While taking notes for this book, I wrote down "I don't immediately like Prosper.  He seems like he has a dangerous secret".  But my opinion of the man drastically over the course of the story.  Prosper snow takes you on his journey with him, and you feel it all.  Stress, regret, fear, love, some more fear, a dash of paranoia, and so on and so forth.  But who do you trust when the evidence pushes you in every direction it can?  


Something else I really liked about this book is that I instantly felt like I connected with the victims.  That only made it that much more difficult when they actually became the victims.  


The characters are well written around a story that is well written.  You get a history on everyone, and really feel like you get to know them. I felt it was fast paced, and I finished it in just a couple days. 


And a really terrific addition to this book?  It has a movie!  How exciting is that?  Here is the trailer:







I encourage you to read this book, tell your friends about it too.  And the author tells me that there is a sequel to this book, about to published soon.  I will definitely keep my eye out for that one!