News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons #2) - Katie MacAlister



Title: Up In Smoke (Silver Dragons #2)
Author: Katie MacAlister
Published: 2008
Format read: Print copy borrowed from library


From Goodreads:
Though May Northcott’s heart belongs to Gabriel, leader of the silver dragons, being stuck in Abaddon has significantly cooled down her love life. Especially since a demon lord is trying to woo her. Looks like May will have to barter to gain her freedom and fulfill her destiny by Gabriel’s side...



“Carrie Fay always says that nothing is really horrible unless it eats away your face.” Sally said with sublime disregard.

That line made me laugh out loud.  Seriously, its hilarious.  And well, it’s true too!
I loved this book.  This may very well be my newest favorite trilogy.  I want to read the last book more than any other book I have right now.  And I will have to soon, cause they are due back to the library on the 24th! On the other hand, I’m really sad that its almost over.  Sure, there’s the Aisling Grey series, and the start of the Light Dragon series, but I want more Silver Dragons.
  
Why?  Gabriel.  Woooooohooooo, that dragon could give me his fire any time he wanted.  Ok, so after the first book I claimed that I got more of a Bruno Campos vibe from Gabriel.  Not anymore.  I still don’t know if I can picture him just like the author describes, but I am just about there.   I can picture this guy moving through the room.  Quiet.  Calm.  Deadly.  And he loves May Northcott more than anything in this whole universe.  And boy oh boy oh boy, it is a hot hot love that they have. 



This book takes place right after the first.  We find May in Abaddon, basically getting all prettied up for a whole lotta nothing in her mind.  Magoth, by the way, I am certain is Rudolph Valentino. I may be wrong, but Katie MacAlister keeps saying how he was a dark, brooding, sexy silent film star.  I would place my money on Valentino!  Ok, back to the book.  May is getting a mud mask from Sally, who has designs on becoming a demon lord herself.  You want to hate her, you kind of like her, she’s funny.  She reminds me of Paulette in Legally Blonde.  Up in your face, seemingly naïve…but you know there is more there.  This woman has layers, even if she isn’t a top character in the book.  She has enough personality to have a spin off!  Then May disappears!!  Ok, she doesn’t actually.  But she does get summoned up to see Gabriel, Aisling, and the group.  There’s a plan to get her out of Abaddon.  Annnnnd it involves her becoming Magoth’s consort.


But whatever works, works.  I don’t care, as long as she gets out and gets closer to Gabriel.   And through a series of events, the dragon shard from the phylactery lands itself right inside of May!!  Suddenly she is shifting during sex into a dragon, she is moody, she is flying off the handle.  I loved it!!! She doesn’t, however.  She’s worried about becoming a dragon permanently.  So of course there is a plan to get her out of that situation.


That’s what I love about this trilogy.  There’s a main storyline, and all kinds of shenanigans along the way.  Cyrene gets into trouble, of course.  Kostya is around.  We meet some new dragons.  Its mayhem! There is no way you could get bored reading this series.  Katie MacAlister definitely does a good job of keeping you on your toes.

There’s a lot of action in this book.  Fighting action, plotting action, battle action, sexy as hell on fire action.  I couldn’t read it fast enough.  I love the absolute unfaltering devotion of May and Gabriel.  If I gave stars on my reviews, this book would get all 5 :)




UPDATE:
Ok, I've got it.  I know who I picture Gabriel as:  Jason Momoa!!   I wish I had some quotes on hand so that I could do a "My Book Boyfriend" but maybe next week.  In the meantime, check out these pics!