News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Interview with Lisa Becker, author of Double Click


Double Click
Lisa Becker

Fans of the romantic hit Click: An Online Love Story will enjoy another voyeuristic dive into the lives of Renee, Shelley, Ashley, Mark and Ethan, as Double Click picks up with their lives six months later. Are Renee and Ethan soul mates? Does Mark ever go on a date? Has Shelley run out of sexual conquests in Los Angeles? Will Ashley's judgmental nature sabotage her budding relationship? Through a marriage proposal, wedding, new baby and unexpected love twist, Double Click answers these questions and more. Readers will continue to cheer, laugh, cry and cringe following the email exploits of Renee and friends.

Today I have author, Lisa Becker, over for an interview for her book Double Click, the sequel to Click: An Online Love Story!  This book is surely quite different from anything you've ever read, so sit back, she was she has to say and check out the excerpt.  Happy Monday!

***Interview*** 

Hey Lisa, welcome back to Fictional Candy! How are you today? 

Can’t complain. I must say, I’ve got it pretty darn good and I know it!

We’re here to talk about Double Click, which is the sequel to Click: An Online Love Story. What can you tell us about Double Click?



Double Click is a follow up to Click: An Online Love Story, the modern epistolary novel that book bloggers and reviewers called hilarious, clever and full of fun. The book picks up with the same main characters six months after the original books ends. If the first book was about Renee’s search for love online, this book is about whether she and her friends have all found their “HEA” or “happily ever after.” Through a marriage proposal, wedding, new baby and unexpected love twist, Double Click allows readers to cheer, laugh, cry and cringe following the email exploits of Renee and friends.

For those who don’t know, Click was written in entirely in email format. Is Double Click formatted in the same way? 
Yes, Double Click unfolds exclusive in emails. Years ago, I read a book called e by Matthew Beaumont which tells the story of a fictitious ad agency vying for a big account, with the story all told in emails. I thought that narrative style would work really well for the story I wanted to tell about the online dating world. It was a modern way of storytelling that fit the topic and the times.

And what made you decide to go this route? Do you think it is more difficult to write in this way, or easier?

The hardest part was keeping the timeline and email exchanges organized. Sometimes, I would have to look back a few pages earlier to make sure I had cc’d or bcc’d the right people on an email and that the subject lines were consistent. In some cases, there were replies to forwards to replies. Keeping it all straight was a challenge, but essential to the book’s format. Since the format doesn’t enable us to describe what people look like, my husband and I joke it will make it easier to cast the movie when a big Hollywood producer comes knocking on my door.

Ok, the “have to ask” question: Have you ever online dated, and are any of the experiences in these books your own?
My husband and I met online on a popular dating website. After we married, I was recalling some of the hilarious experiences that I had with both traditional and online dating. I decided to capture some of them in writing and from there, a novel emerged. Click is loosely based on my real-life dating experiences, as well as stories friends have shared with me. In some cases, things are written as they actually occurred. Other scenarios are exaggerated for entertainment value or comedic affect. And some scenarios are completely fictionalized. I really did go out on a date with someone I met online who started every story (no joke!) with “My buddies and I were out drinking last night.” The ultimate goal was to create a fun read for anyone who has ever had a bad date, been in love, been dumped, or is searching for "the one." But, the happy ending is real. Steve and I have been happily married for nearly ten years (which is no small feat in Los Angeles) and have two amazing daughters.

So Lisa, what’s life like for you outside of being an author?

I’m fortunate to have had a series of wonderful careers outside of writing including being a wife, mom, PR professional, college professor, volunteer and Girl Scout troop leader.

If you had to pick another career besides writing, which way do you think you would go?

I’ve always wanted to learn to professionally decorate cakes. Not only does it look fun, but really yummy! But my dream job, if neither time nor talent were an issue, is that of a Sesame Street puppeteer.

Suddenly today, I am a magic genie, but I have limited powers. In fact, the only thing I can do is bring one book to life. What book do you choose?

Oh my! I should probably pick a book that re-imagines a significant moment in history, like what if JFK had not been assassinated or Hitler had become a successful artist instead of a monstrous anti-Semite. But that just sounds so serious. So I’m going to go with my favorite children’s book – Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie (Andrews) Edwards. I bought a copy several years ago for my nephew and he recently gave it back to me so I could give it to my daughters when they get older. It’s a wonderful, fanciful story and I still smile when I imagine the Whangdoodle who has a daisy on his sweet tooth. I think the two of us would have great fun together.

Do you have plans for any other books in the series after Double Click?

This reminds me of something my sister once said, and I’ve found it to be quite true. The minute you start dating, people ask “when you are getting engaged?” Once engaged, it’s “when are you getting married?” and once you are married, it’s “when are you having a baby?” Well, I feel like I just gave birth to a baby and I’m not ready to have another one…not just yet. A friend, after seeing the Double Click cover, said, “Can’t wait for part three, Right Click; the story of how Renee becomes a conservative and falls madly in love with a one percenter!" While I don’t think Renee will become a member of the Tea Party anytime soon, I love the title. So, you never know. Right Click may be out there some day.

If I gave you forty million dollars, what would you do?

Give away 35 million! That’s crazy money…the kind of money where you need to hire bodyguards for your kids. And I wouldn’t want it. I would be delighted to give it away to worthy charities ranging from cancer research to education. But the other $5 million would be just enough to keep me living the good life. I would hire a personal chef to cook yummy, healthy meals and perhaps someone to do my hair for me every day. Those little luxuries would make life so much sweeter. I could set up my kids, grandkids and their kids for life, send my folks and in-laws on amazing trips around the world, help out friends and family who could use a few bucks, and basically enjoy life.

And, lastly, since this is Fictional Candy, what is your favorite candy?

Peanut m&m’s! I can justify eating more because I’m getting protein.

Thanks Lisa, for coming by today! I had a lot of fun giving you the third degree! 





Double Click Excerpt


From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 9:43 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Miss me?
(attachment)
***************************************


From:  Renee Greene – July 17, 2012 – 9:45 AM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

I do miss you, Shel.  But why are you sending me a picture of your boobs?

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 9:47 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

Holy shit!  I sent you the wrong message.  Not much else to do but laugh and laugh.  And be thankful it went to you by accident and not my boss.

***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 17, 2012 – 9:52 AM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

I’m thrilled to hear you didn’t intend to send a cleavage shot to your boss.  Who was this for?  You haven’t spoken much about anyone lately.  I was beginning to think you’d hit a dry spell. 

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 9:57 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

Dry spell?  Me?  Never!  No, I just figured it was getting passé to continue talking about this stuff.  Plus, you’re in a serious relationship.  You have an exciting life of your own.


***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 17, 2012 – 10:00 AM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

I will always want to hear of your dating adventures.  Those nicknames bring me such joy.


***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 10:02 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

I’ll keep that in mind.  In the meantime, I’ve got an email to send and you’ve got an email to delete.  Right?

***************************************


From:  Renee Greene – July 17, 2012 – 10:06 AM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

Oh, I don’t think so.  You have a picture of me from Cancun in college.  As I recall, you’ve trotted that little factoid out on many an occasion when you are interested in getting me to do something I don’t want to.  Now I’ve got a little black“mail” of my own. 

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 10:08 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

Fine.  Keep it.  Show it around if you want.  I’m proud of the rack.

***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 17, 2012 – 10:10 AM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

UGH!  It’s no fun when you have no shame.  Why can’t you be embarrassed like normal people? 

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 10:11 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

Sweetie, I’m anything but normal.  And I’ve got two great reasons to be proud in this case.

***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 17, 2012 – 10:12 AM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

True, my friend.  True.  Okay, go send your sexy photo to…?

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 17, 2012 – 10:13 AM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: Miss me?

…?  No one you know.  Call you later.  Mwah! Mwah!

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 18, 2012 – 8:25 PM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  HUMP DAY

It's hump day.  Just thought you should know.

***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 18, 2012 – 8:32 PM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: HUMP DAY

UGH!  I’m still at the office.  I’ve been working my fanny off and it’s only Wednesday.  I wouldn't be busting my hump like this for just any client.  Thankfully, they are appreciative of our work.

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 18, 2012 – 8:35 PM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: HUMP DAY

I say “hump day” and that’s your take, Sweetie?  I’ve been working hard.  Listen up lady: It’s HUMP DAY.  So log off the computer, find your man and have at it.

***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 18, 2012 – 8:36 PM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: HUMP DAY

I didn’t realize it was a command.

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 18, 2012 – 8:38 PM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: HUMP DAY

Well it is!  Sadly, I have to remind you to have sex.

***************************************

From:  Renee Greene – July 18, 2012 – 8:40 PM
To:  Shelley Manning
Subject:  Re: HUMP DAY

Is that your plan for the evening?  Perhaps with the gentleman who received your risqué photo yesterday?  What was his name again?

***************************************

From:  Shelley Manning – July 18, 2012 – 8:42 PM
To:  Renee Greene
Subject:  Re: HUMP DAY

Nice try, Sweetie.  Go have some fun.  Mwah! Mwah!

***************************************