News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Friday, May 11, 2012

An Interview with Kitty Thomas, author of The Last Girl


Ok, so let's get to it.  I've been waiting and waiting for my date on this tour since I read the book.  I just love this story beyond pieces, it is definitely one of my favorites this year.  On top of all that I was lucky enough to also get a chance to interview the author, Kitty Thomas!  She was (ok, is) super nice and I really look forward to working with her more in the future!  So without further ado, here is the interview.  I hope everyone enjoys it, and I hope you all get a chance to read this fabulous story!  

Check out my review HERE

* * * * 

Hello Kitty!  It is such a pleasure to meet you!  Thank you for taking the time to stop by Fictional Candy on your tour with Dark Mind Book Tours!
Thanks for having me!
  
First, lets start with the story.  The Last Girl.  I don’t want to gush, but oh lordy, this book was beyond wonderful.  What can you tell the readers about this story?
Ha! Thank you! I love that you’ve read (and liked!) The Last Girl before the interview because it gives us an opportunity to talk about things we might not be talking about otherwise. The Last Girl is basically about Christian’s internal struggle with his nature, which I know sounds weird since most of the book happens in Juliette’s POV. But, in my opinion, he’s the one with the biggest struggle. I think seeing it through the eyes of one of his pets, though, really drives home what the stakes are.

He’s not apologetic about what he is (vampire), and he isn’t a human with fangs, but he desperately wants to love someone and hold onto them without killing them, and he’s never been able to succeed at that before. Seriously, I hurt when he hurts.
  
I really can’t decide which character I like more, Juliette or Christian.  Ok, its totally Christian!  He is bad in such a good way, completely blunt and honest… so raw in his beauty.  Was there any specific inspiration for him?
Christian just “is”. I can’t point to anybody or anything that specifically inspired him because he just popped up in my head one day. I’m sure M inspired parts of him (he seems to see a lot of himself in certain characters of mine under both of my pen names. Cain in the Zoe series is SO M, lol.)

I will say that the dream in Juliette’s opening sequence is a dream I actually had and once I had that, the rest of the story started to fall into place. Dreams often inspire books or parts of books for me. Christian did show up in a dream, but it was after the book had first been released. And let me say... he is SCARY. I mean he didn’t DO anything scary, he just IS scary. I had to go back to sleep with the light on.

And speaking of inspiration, you list Claudia D. Christian as one of yours.  Is Christian in The Last Girl a namesake of hers, or just a happy coincidence?
Nope. Just a coincidence. I’ve always found the name Christian for a guy really sexy. I don’t know why. I don’t really associate it with the religion when it’s a guy’s name. Though, I will admit it’s a somewhat ironic name for a vampire.

Now Kitty, some people may know you as author Zoe Winters, and you make no issue about disguising the use of two pen names.  Does it ever become difficult for you, to sort of keep up two parts of the same person?
Well, I used to keep it seriously under wraps because my family is super religious and I didn’t want them to have to deal with drama/fallout from their daughter/granddaughter/etc. writing dirty fiction. My grandmother wishes I’d write something that didn’t have sex or profanity in it. My grandfather was more to the point. He asked what I made doing it and then when I told him he said I could write whatever I wanted to write. LOL!

Eventually, though I had to just come out of the pen name closet because it was too draining keeping it a secret and there was weirdly a LOT of Zoe/Kitty fan crossover. Even though, at the time, my two pen names weren’t cross promoting or following each other on Twitter or anything like that. A few people even figured it out, so I thought... meh... I may as well come “out” about it. And also, I didn’t want someone else to end up outing me and then it look like I (as Zoe) was ashamed of the Kitty stuff. I’m really proud of the Kitty stuff.

As for the two parts thing... the only thing really difficult is figuring out how to write romance sex (for Zoe). I find vanilla sex so boring I don’t even know how to describe it. But I don’t want to totally “kink up” the Zoe stuff. I want it to be more mainstream/accepted by a more mainstream audience. So there is definitely a sort of D/s subtext in all the relationships/stories in the Zoe books, but when it comes to the actual sex, I try to get in and out of there as quickly as possible! It’s much easier for me to write Kitty sex where I don’t have to hold anything back.

The Last Girl is much more dark erotica than erotic romance.  Where do you draw the line for your characters to cross or not cross?
Thank you for saying that! I definitely do not consider the Kitty stuff romance. I’m not writing traditional HEAs. I’m not following the rules of romance. And characters may die. I’m making no promises. I mainly just don’t want my characters to get “too vanilla”, which sometimes that’s weirdly a risk because I still want the work to be palatable. The biggest distinction is... whether or not there is obsession or love involved... it’s not about love... it’s about ownership. It’s about the fact that he owns her. Period. So it’s not really a seduction. It’s not about her falling for him and them living happily ever after. It’s about her accepting his power over her and finding a way to live inside it. And that’s what all the Kitty books are about in one way or another.

Big question, would you have tried to escape from Christian?
Yes. He’s terrifying.

I found this book to be the perfect blend of paranormal, erotica, darkness, and emotion.  I’d love for the answer to this question to be yes…. Will we see more of Christian and/or Juliette in any upcoming books?
I don’t think so. This really isn’t the kind of book I want to expand upon or write a sequel to. I think it would ruin it. I don’t want to monkey with a good thing. I told the story exactly how I wanted to tell it the first time; I’m not willing to risk doing anything to screw that up. Plus, I think a sequel would risk making it “romance-y”, and their story isn’t a romance.

If there is one thing you would like readers to take from your Kitty Thomas books, what would that be?
Submission isn’t weakness.
(Well said!!)

Social media is a giant that is taking over everything… how do you feel about it all?  Do you have any favorite social media outlets where we might find you at more than others?
I have a love/hate relationship with social media. But I’m on Twitter and my blog mostly. (You can get those links below, readers!)

Ok, lets lighten it up a bit.
Favorite beverage? Assam breakfast tea.
Favorite website? I hate the Internet. But I need it. So here I am.
Favorite city? I don’t like cities. (I’m so disagreeable today! LOL)
Ocean, Mountains, Desert, or City? Ocean, definitely.



That’s about it for now.  Thank you so much Kitty for your time.  I truly appreciate it and I look forward to reading more of your books in the future!
Thanks! I have 3 other novels and 3 novellas out at Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords for you to peruse at your leisure. ;)




Here are a couple of my favorite covers! :)



Kitty On The Web

And no, I didn't forget to leave you the synopsis.  Here it is!  Enjoy!

Six years ago strangers broke into Juliette’s house; she was home alone and only thirteen. She kept her eyes closed, praying that if she didn’t see anything, she wouldn’t be killed. No one harmed her. In fact, one of the thieves protected her. Now Juliette’s dreams are haunted by him.



Christian has waited to take her, resisting the urge each night. It always ends badly with human pets. They’re too fragile. The longer he can wait, the better, because the moment he takes her, the clock on her life starts ticking down.


Then she’ll be gone forever.
Warning: This book is dark erotica meant for a mature audience only