News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Monday, May 28, 2012

Review, Pretty In Black by Rae Hachton


Title: Pretty In Black (Pretty In Black #1)
Author: Rae Hachton
Published: October 2011, Teen Pulse
Genre: PNR, Fantasy, Gothic Romance
Format: Ebook provided by Supagurl Tours

Some Things are Pretty. Some Things are Black. Love is both.


[Ellie Piper]


She wanted to die. He arose from the grave. He was sent to kill her. She was trained to kill those of his kind. But fate had other plans. He searched for 119 years to find her. There's no way in hell he's letting her go. Dead or Alive. They're fated


[Marcus Marble]


How far would you go to be with the one you love? Would you die for her? Would you kill for her? What if the only reason you're still alive is because of her? What if the reason you came back from the dead, was to be with her? But what if your job was to kill her, but you fell in love instead? And now you're being hunted by your own kind?&


Destroy? Or be Destroyed?

              “I never really wanted to die.  But I followed through anyway.  The pain in my heart was excruciating, and death was beautiful.”

I started this book knowing next to nothing about it.  The cover is what drew me in, I couldn’t have not  read it.  And then I signed up for the Black Satin tour with Supagurl Tours, which I have a stop in June.  So then I had to read this book, to prepare for that one.  That all worked out quite well!

This felt like it was a relatively short story, overall.  But it is over 300 pages.  I guess I enjoyed it so much that I just flew through it.  Ellie Piper is a teenage girl whose sister has died.  She is depressed and suicidal.  Life has flipped since her sister’s death, and nothing quite seems worth it.  So she decides suicide is the answer.  And on that fateful night she meets Marcus.

Marcus has long black hair and brooding eyes.  He is quiet and mysterious.  He has secrets, big secrets.  He stops Ellie from killing herself, now only if she knew!

                “So I stayed.  I kind of adored his smile.  And I really loved his eyes.”

Sometimes it just takes a word to describe someone.  Depressed.  Cutter.  Suicidal.  And of course, you can’t encompass someone in that one word, but when you are the person in that spot… well, that’s all you see in yourself.  You don’t see the vibrancy you once had, you don’t see the smile that people miss.  All you really can see is the end, and you wonder how in the hell you can get there because you are just…done. 

That was Ellie.  I found her to be quite compelling.  This was a girl who was vivacious and cheerful, in fact she was a cheerleader.  Then her sister dies and life as she knows it ceases.  I really liked her.  And then she met Marcus and I thought, whoa, this guy is special.  Seemingly the epitome of a vampire, except he’s not a vampire, he’s an Evermore.  They are slightly different, but the story will explain that to you better than I could.  But the two of them, to me, was like picturing the gothic prince and princess come to life.  I just liked them.

There were a few things that rubbed me the wrong way about this story.  Things that I felt have been done before.  But those instances were short, and didn't really detract from the story. 

What I did love about this story, and it made me jump to read Black Satin (the next book in the series) was this beautiful imagery and language that the author used.  She was able to set up a scene with such dark beauty, you definitely felt like you were there.  You could feel the desolation, the sadness… and then you could feel the hope and what could only certainly be young love.  Some of the imagery was very dark, but it was beautiful.  The beginning dealt with the issue of suicide, which can be a very touchy subject for some.  But in this story it was handled beautifully.

You get a little bit of history on Marcus, and what is going on with him.  There is a lot that is explained even more in book 2.  All I can say is that this is shaping up to be a wonderful series, and I can’t wait to get on to book 3!

Come back and see me on June 28 when I have my stop on the Black Satin tour and a review of book 2!

Find Rae Online

****
****