News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Review, Darkness Becomes Her by Jaime Rush


Title: Darkness Becomes Her (Offspring #6)
Author: Jaime Rush
Publisher: Harper Collins, May 29, 2012
Genre: UF, Sci-fi, Romance (these are what I'd say!)
Format: Egalley provided by Edelweiss

They live ordinary lives, but they are extraordinary.


They are the Offspring, children of a mysterious experiment gone awry—and they are in terrible danger.


Power Junkie: Lachlan McLeod spent wild years astrally projecting himself into other times and places. But he doesn't get out much anymore—not after the fatal mistake that cost him a precious loved one.


Pixie Fugitive: Jessie isn't having a bad day. She's having a bad lifetime. After the terrifying act of supernatural violence that destroyed her family, she's been on the run for years. But now her ruthless enemy is drawing closer . . . and her own powers have finally awakened.


They're two people who don't play well with others. But they're going to have to learn to, and quickly. Because they're the only two people in the world who can save each other — and their passion is the only thing that can save the world.

This is a new to me author, and I picked this book up as a galley on Edelweiss.  This book is #6 in the series, but I didn’t really feel lost without having read the others.  With that being said, I liked this one so much that I will seek out the previous books and catch up on them.

This story starts out with what I thought was a horrifying prologue.  It really set the story up well, to get to know some of the characters.  Present day brings us to Jessie.  She’s always on the run, ready to move at a moment’s notice.  It comes to light that she is running from her uncle, Russell.  But now she is in a small town, and she meets a guy she just may like, Magnus.

Magnus is a playboy after being very sheltered for most of his life.  And now that he has freedom, he is taking advantage of it.  But then he meets Jessie, and whoa, she could be someone he could settle down with for a bit.  At least, that’s what he tells his brother Lachlan. 

Lachlan and Magnus are very different as far as brothers.  Where Magnus is a playboy sowing his wild oats, Lachlan has pretty much made himself a monk, punishing himself for a mistake he’d give anything to take back.  But no matter what powers you have, some things you just can’t undo.


Edit:5-29-12 (Had to reformat this paragraph after realizing I said the exact same thing in every sentence...do'h!)
That’s right, these people have powers.  They are all very different and pretty neat if I do say so myself.  And even more on top of that, they are different from the usual powers we see, which I liked.  But hey, I am a sucker for super powers!

Then Lachlan astral projects to the future, and he sees Jessie standing over Magnus’ dead body, and now he wants answers.  But fate is not on their side that day, and Magnus ends up in a coma of sorts and Lachlan has charged himself with protecting Jessie.  Whoooaaa, flip!

                “She smelled good, the clean scent of her sweat and the sweetness of shampoo.  She hadn’t almost gotten him killed, but she was killing him now.”

Lachlan and Jessie soon realize there are sparks between them.  But they both have good reasons to douse those flames.  This was constantly leaving me in a sense of frustration, good frustration, but still frustration nonetheless.  I thought their pairing was so perfect, these two belonged together, and I wanted it to happen now now now!   Lachlan was constantly making me swoon with his behavior.  I mean, hermit tendencies and alleged psychosis aside, the man sounded pretty damn perfect to me.  He is caring, strong, tough and best of all – honorable.  But his personal code of honor was really becoming a road block.

            “I didn’t want to kill you, but I would have, to save Magnus.  Now I’ll kill to save you.”

Seriously?  Lachlan, I’m already falling for you, you don’t need to seal the deal – I’m yours!! 

What? He wasn’t talking to me?  Dang!  Not again!

Ok, funniness aside.  There is definitely so much more to Lachlan than meets the eye.  Don’t get me wrong, I really liked Jessie too, but at times she became a bit too much for me.  She was a runner, running her whole life.  And now here was her chance to stay and fight, and I just wanted to get on with it already.

But the girl has some baggage.  I can’t give it away, but you’ll see.  And her whole life has been based on half truths and lies, and things are about to get very bad for her.  And there were times I really felt for her.  But here she was in Sanctuary (Lachlan’s home) and she was protected.  Pretty good deal, if you ask me.  I mean, the guy fought with a giant sword for Pete’s sake!

And Lachlan says, “Protect what’s ours”.  There is something to basic and attractive about that.  To know, actually know, you are safe – and loved.  Lachlan, whether he can admit it or not, is a man to be admired.

Ok, I suppose that is enough about Lachlan.  Who’d have guessed this review would turn into an episode of “I love Locky”  Oh yeah, that’s his nickname.  Does it get any better??  Read this book, but maybe start at the beginning.  I don’t think its really required, but with any series, its always best to start at the beginning.  But hurry up and get to this book because there are some definitely some things in here you do not want to miss!  Oh, plus there are a lot of sci-fi type elements to this book (and I imagine the series) that will really appeal to lovers of sci-fi.  We’re talking portals to other dimensions, other worlds, all of it!

Find Jaime Rush