News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover (Review)

Title: Ugly Love
Series: Standalone
Author: Colleen Hoover
Published: August 2014, Atria Books
Format: Library Loan
Pages: 337/Goodreads

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.
 


Last night I finished ugly Love by Colleen Hoover.  Have you read this book?  I'm pretty sure almost everyone has by this point, and I'm a bit late to the game.  But oh holy hell, I can definitely see what all of the excitement was about!  I loved this book to pieces!


So for those who may not know the premise, Tate is a nurse and a college student, and she's just moved in with her brother, Corbin.  Miles is the very secretive but super sexy neighbor across the hall. Sparks happen.  Mind blowing scorching sex happens.  Heartbreaks happen.  Hey, it's not called Ugly Love for nothing. 

This is a secret lovers trope, with a few twists.  They are secret mostly because of Corbin; he's a good protective older brother.  But by being a secret, it kind of helps with the "no strings" set up they devised.  And there aren't any strings... more like freaking ropes.  Miles and Tate are so into each other you can FEEL it just when they are near each other.  There is oodles of tension, and I love every second of it.

By jumping between Tate's present and Miles' past, you really get a feel for each character.  Miles' history is filled with joy and then horrible tragedy.  But now Tates and Miles, their present kind of feels like Deja Vu, and I'm pretty sure that Miles feels the same way.   I can't help but be heartbroken over Miles and Rachel (his ex), but that doesn't exempt my heartbreak over Miles and Tate when everything blows up in their face.  These characters easily made me want them together, they just feel so right. When plans fall apart, I think I feel just as badly as they do.

If I had to describe Miles, I would say he is insightful, and thoughtful.  Complicated.  Intense.  He's a shell of who he was, living but not L-I-V-I-N. But he is also a humble and modest man.  Other than the fact that he feels he doesn't deserve love or happiness, he's darn near perfect.  Miles is aggressive when he needs to be, but he is still an emotional being whose heart is about to rediscover love.

As for Tate, she's a strong woman.  I love that her best friend turns out to be Cap, an 80 year old elevator operator in the apartment building they live in. I love how she refuses to give up on Miles, she keeps hitting that brick wall.  Even after they are apart, I don't think her heart gave up on him.  It just let go. She sees past his cold exterior, and she's just an all around nice person.


This book is full of anguish.  And love.  And incredibly hot sex.  There's a lot going on underneath the surface.  I couldn't stop reading it.  I could feel the impending doom, like a speeding racecar, but I was like Tate, I was trying to just take what happiness I could while it was there.  But you know what, Colleen Hoover knows what she's doing, so just trust her on this journey and you won't regret it.  This is definitely an emotional and powerful story you don't want to miss.



Buy It!

Fictional Candy