News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Character Interview/Giveaway: Colors Like Memories by Meradeth Houston


Colors Like Memories
Meradeth Houston

Julia has a secret: she killed the guy she loved. It was an accident—sort of.

Julia is a Sary, the soul of a child who died before taking her first breath. Without this 'breath of life' she and others like her must help those on the verge of suicide. It's a job Julia used to enjoy, until the accident that claimed her boyfriend’s life—an accident she knows was her fault. If living with the guilt weren't enough, she's now assigned to help a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, something Julia's not exactly the best role model for. If she can't figure out a way to help her, Julia's going to lose her position in the Sary, something she swore to her boyfriend would never happen.
************ 
Character Interview 
by Meradeth Houston
************

Interview with Julia, from Colors Like Memories
Hi, my name is Meradeth Houston, author of Colors Like Memories. Thanks a million for joining me here today! I love connecting with readers :) I’m hoping to allow you all to get to know my main character, Julia, a little better.
So for a little bit of fun, I’m interviewing Julia, late night talk-show style. Just picture me behind a big desk, with a mug of something that’s probably not water :)
Julia’s the dark-haired young lady entering stage right. She’s medium height with long dark hair that she’s styled in a kind of up-do that is both stylish and retro. The bright lights are really not her style, and she keeps glancing awkwardly toward the curtains, tugging on the dress she’s wearing so that it’s a little longer.
Julia (taking a seat on the edge of her seat): Um. Hi.
Me: Thanks so much for joining us, Julia!
Julia (Talking a little too fast): Look, let me just say this—I can’t tell you a whole lot, okay? I could get into trouble for just being here.
Me (nodding sagely and taking a long sip of “water”): And that’s because you’re a Sary, right?
Julia (looking horrified): …
Me: Look, there are no secrets here. Just pretend no one’s listening. No one’s going to rat you out for telling us what you are.
Julia: I don’t know…
Me: Come on. I promise nothing’s going to happen. Just start with this—have you always gone by Julia?
Julia: Uh, no. I have for a while now, but not always. I have to change my name when I’m in countries where it doesn’t fit. Or when it’s not really a common name any more. But I like it. It suits me. And it’s a pain to try and answer to another name.
Me (grinning a little now that she’s talking): Okay, great. So, tell us, how old are you?
Julia: It’s rude to ask a lady how old she is. Seriously. I’m old enough.
Me: Okay, okay, how about telling us what a Sary is exactly?
Julia (huffing out a long breath): Fine. A Sary is basically a child that dies before taking its first breath. You know that whole “breath of life” stuff? Yeah, it’s pretty important. Without it, we’re not able to claim a body. So, I chose to become a Sary so I could get one. But the price for it is to work as a guardian. I am given assignments to try and help people that are thinking about killing themselves, and I try to stop them.
Me: Sounds like a really cheerful job.
Julia: Was that supposed to be some kind of joke?
Me (blushing): Yeah, well, anyhow. Tell us, who’s your assignment now?
Julia: I’m assigned to Marcy right now. Her mom died recently, and, well, she feels responsible. Things have been rough. So I’m trying to help.
Me: And are things going well?
Julia (sighing): I don’t know. I wish they were better. She deserves better.
Me: You two are close?
Julia (nods): Yeah. Really close. I haven’t had a, a friend in so long. I have to help her.
Me (another long sip): Okay, so let’s talk boys.
Julia (crosses her arms): Are you kidding me?
Me: Not at all! What kind of host do you think I am? Now, tell me, is there a boy in your life?
Julia (turning all kinds of red): Maybe.
Me: Just maybe?
Julia: I’m so not getting into that here.
Me: Okay, well, then just tell us, have you ever been in a serious relationship?
Julia: Yes. I was with Derek forever. He was my companion in the Sary. He died a long time ago.
Me: I’m really sorry about that. I imagine that must still haunt you?
Julia: Yeah. It hasn’t been easy to see past. Helping Marcy when I’m still dealing with losing Derek is so ‘the blind leading the blind.’ It’s kinda ironic, really. Or, it would be if it didn’t suck so much.
Me: I’m so sorry. But there’s another guy in your life now?
Julia: Really, I said I wasn’t getting into that!
Me: Well, well! Okay, I’m getting the signal that we have to go to a commercial break! Thanks for joining us!
Julia (waving): Bye!
And that’s Julia, well, at least a little bit! Please check out Colors Like Memories if you want to learn more about her, her world, and all that fun stuff :)

About Meradeth Houston....
Meradeth’s never been a big fan of talking about herself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about her:
 
>She’s a Northern California girl. This generally means she talks too fast and use "like" a lot.
>She has her doctorate in molecular anthropology. Translation: she sequences dead people's DNA and is a professional lab rat.
>She’s been writing since she was 11 years old. It's her hobby, her passion, and she’s so happy to get to share her work!
>If she could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because she’s terrified of heights.