News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Begging For It by Lilah Pace (Review)

Title: Begging For It
Series: Asking For It #2
Author: Lilah Pace
Released: September 1, 2015, Berkley
Format: EGalley
Pages: 341 per Goodreads

Some secrets should only be shared in the dark.

Jonah and Vivienne’s erotic bond—living out raw scenarios of captivity and force—began as no-strings sex between strangers who shared the same desires. Now the intimacy between them is turning into love, but it’s a love built on fantasies so extreme that exploring them makes guilt inescapable. But the risks they're taking are far more dangerous than they'd imagined.

A stalker is terrorizing the city, and one of Jonah’s ex-lovers names him as a potential suspect to the police. Standing by a man under suspicion could cost Vivienne everything. But when Jonah’s stepfather takes advantage of the scandal to seize control of the Marks family fortune, Vivienne is drawn into her lover’s broken family and twisted past. Only then will she learn how dark the truth really is...
 

Hmmmm.  I really have mixed feelings about this book, which I wasn't prepared for.  I really loved book one, Asking For It. But in Begging For It, I felt like it all became a bit ordinary.  It lacked the excitement that I was hoping for.



If you read the first book, or my other review, then you know that Jonah and Vivienne share the erotic taboo fantasy of rape.  In this book, it is explored more, and personal boundaries are crossed.  No, Jonah doesn't actually rape Vivienne, so don't worry about that.  However, there is an actual criminal who is hitting very close to home.  Jonah and Vivienne seem to face a new problem with every chapter.  I kept hoping for a bright spot somewhere in there for them, and there were a couple, but they didn't outshine all of the more depressing and sad parts, for me.

I really like both of these characters.  And as is typical in the second book of a series, they run into some problems.  They have time to explore their own individual identities.  I suppose that's all well and good, but I was in the mood for love and passion, I guess.  So while I enjoyed this story, it just wasn't what I expected.  I don't think that is a bad thing.

The strong points are that Lilah Pace's writing is terrific.  She really knows how to create this whole world of theirs very well.  She takes something very taboo, and scary for many people, and brings it to the forefront.  I think she shows these fantasies in a positive light, and I hope that when people read these books, they will see them for what they are.  The characters in the book are afraid to share their fantasies because of the stigma, and the same could happen for people who read the book.  But in the end, what you have is two people who met, fell in love, shared the deepest parts of themselves, struggled, and fought for each other.


Lilah Pace is a pseudonym for a New York Times bestselling YA author. This is her first adult novel.

Asking For it on Goodreads
 Begging For It on Goodreads
Lilah Pace on Goodreads
Website
Twitter
Facebook

Previous Posts on Fictional Candy
 Asking For It - Review 


Buy It!

Asking For It on AMAZON
 Begging For It on AMAZON