News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Review: One Ride by Chelsea Camaron

Title: One Ride
Series: The Hellion's Ride #1
Author: Chelsea Camaron
Published: December 2013
Format: ebook received for review

Delilah “Doll” Reklinger never imagined her life with anyone that wasn’t a Hellion. She never imagined a Hellion would come along and prove himself worthy enough to her father, Roundman, Hellions Club President. Content in living in the bubble of safety the motorcycle club family has always provided, Doll never thought that danger surrounded her.

Roundman has kept the Hellions contained for the last thirty years by controlling the chaos surrounding their lifestyle. When the dangerous side to their business comes knocking on his door, he realizes his precious Doll isn’t safe. The Hellions code may be that women and children are off limits in any altercation or dispute, but that doesn’t mean their enemies follow that same moral compass.

His only child, now in danger from the association to him and his club, Roundman makes a decision. He sends her away to a charter club, in hopes that the trouble won’t follow.

One ride across the country. One simple ride. Talon “Tripp” Crews has been ordered to take Doll on one ride away and to keep her safe. She’s off limits, his head knows this, but his body can’t deny the sparks between them. She’s feisty, fierce, and fearless. Constantly in close confines together, can they deny the chemistry? Will they give into the attraction between them? Can one ride turn lust into love?



My latest obsession: motorcycle club romance. I am so happy I read One Ride by Chelsea Camaron. Firstly, this author created a fantastic and heartwarming acknowledgements section. I know not all readers read this part, but I do. And when I see an author pour her heart out before the story even begins, I get a bit of a crush. And that’s how I began my experience with One Ride.


This romance features the club of Haywood’s Landing Hellions. Yep, a mouthful. But there are some really great characters in this book, and I’ll try to touch on some of them. Foremost, we have our heroine, Doll, which is short for Delilah Reklinger – basically the club princess. Her dad is the President and an original member. You’d think this would make life easier for Doll, and in some ways it has. I mean, she is ultimately protected and cherished. But on the flip side, her dad would cut the man-apples off of any man who tried to do anything with her. So her life has been a double edge sword. I pretty much liked Doll the whole way through the book. She took chances, laid it all on the line, and showed herself to be a woman to contend with.

I've never had ol' lady aspirations.  I'm a Hellion, with or without being tied to a brother.  In this moment, it's not about being an ol' lady; it's about being one with your man, being one with the road, and being one with your bike.  It's about being one with the ride.  This is a moment of clarity for me, as I realize why women want to be ol' ladies.  They have this one moment, where they have a connection, and later make a commitment.  All to live for that one moment, one connection, one commitment, and one ride. 

And then Doll meets Tripp, her world changes. I just love when that happens! Tripp is the President of the Catawba Hellions, which is just another chapter. It struck me as odd that he was so young and the president, but I guess when you prove you have it, that’s all you need. I liked Tripp. There were times I loved him, too. He was protective of Doll in so many ways, some she didn’t even know. But there were some times I felt he was just a plain ol’ asshole. But you know what, he evolved. And in my book, that kind of character development counts for a lot.

Basically the story revolves around a road trip for the most part. It’s not for fun, it’s to protect Doll. It seems she’s been threatened, and the only way to keep her safe for sure is to get her out of town. So her dad sends her away with Tripp, her best friend, Sass, and Tripp’s VP, Rex. It’s on this trip that the rollercoaster really happens. There are some really sweet moments, like the stolen kisses between Tripp and Doll. But there are also some adrenalin filled moments, like when the threat is face to face with them.

While the story itself was pretty damn good, there were a few things that irked me. I kept picking up on repetitive descriptions, and it got under my skin a bit. I won’t point them out specifically, just in case they don’t bother you! But in the end, I was very much in love with all of the characters and the world that Chelsea Camaron built for them.

There is something else I learned at the end of the book, too. Many characters are from other books written by other authors!! This totally blew my mind, I don’t think I’d seen it before. It was a very cool aspect, and it makes me want to seek out those books to get a better insight on the characters who guest-roled in One Ride.

So, to sum it up, One Ride definitely gets the raw and gritty factor that you look for in a motorcycle club romance. It’s also emotional and sexy. I’d definitely put this book on your list if you are a fan of the genre like I am.


break