News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Interview with Christina Garner, author of Gateway

Gateway
Christina Garner

Ember has always known she doesn't belong in this world. But when she tries to correct the mistake, she wakes to find herself in a mental institution. 

She's soon drawn to Taren, the mysterious boy with hazel eyes. He's not what he seems, but what is he?

When chaos erupts, they are forced to flee the institution together, and the secret that Taren has been keeping brings Ember closer to understanding her own. And leads her to... the Gateway.

Hey everyone!  It's been kind of a slow week, but we're back today with an interview I did with Christina Garner.  I just love the sound of this book, and I can't wait to read it!  Hope you like our little chat, and add the book to your own TBR!


Hi Christina!  Nice to meet you.  Come on in and sit for a minute with me!
Hi Liz! Thanks so much for having me. I like what you’ve done with the place J

We’re here today about your book, Gateway.  If you had 20 seconds to explain this book, how would you do so?
Gateway tells the story of a 16 year misfit named Ember Lyons, as she learns to face her demons— both the fantasy kind, and the kind we all deal with every day.

How did you come up with the character of Ember, and is there any celebrity she might resemble?
I was watching a documentary on the Houska Castle, and I wondered what it would be like if there really were Gateways to Hell.  In turn, I wondered, who would be guarding them, and what would their lives be like?  With that, Ember, Taren, Kat, and Callie were born.

I have a Pinterest board where I pin images that are reminiscent of how I envision my characters, and I’d say Emma stone (when her hair is a darker brown) is a very good match for Ember, and a young Alex Pettyfer is perfect for Taren.

Your bio says you have some experience with movies.  How do you think this shapes your voice as an author?

My experience in “the business” has had a profound impact on my writing. I began as an actor, and I think that has helped me when crafting dialogue. Writing and directing short films, has shown me so much about how what’s on the page translates to the medium of film. Perhaps most importantly, I’ve had the privilege of working with some amazing storytellers who have taken the time to read drafts of my novels and give invaluable feedback.

Annnnnd, your bio also says you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer, a show I loved.  Who, or what, is your favorite thing about that show?

JOSS WHEDON. Honestly, he is everything in my eyes. I was listening to the director commentary on one of the DVDs, and one of the writers—either Jane Espenson or Marti Noxon
—said that when fans approach them and tell them a particular episode she’d written was their favorite, more often than not, that fan’s favorite line from the episode had been added by Joss.
What he did with that series benefited women everywhere and men who love them. Not to mention, it happens to be smart, funny, poignant and sexy.


Do you have any other projects coming up soon that you could share with us?

Yes! Thanks for asking J

I’m almost finished with Tether, the final book in The Gateway Trilogy. Recently, I was asked to work up a pitch for a TV version of Gateway which I am very excited about, so stay tuned for developments on that!
Also, I plan to turn my screenplay, Coventry House, into my next series of novels.

Now, suddenly I’m a magic genie and I can grant you a choice – live an extra ten years, or 75 million dollars – which do you choose?

Ooh, tough/good question! My first thought is to say the money, because I could do so much good with it. But when I think of the time coming, it would be so hard to let my life go… OK, I think I’m going with the money. There’s just too much I could do to help others to turn it down, no matter the price.

Do you have any favorite “go to” authors?

My favorite series of all time is The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan. I look forward to what Suzanne Collins and Marie Lu do next.

And if a friend asked you for a book recommendation, what would you tell them?

Mine! (hehe) Actually, my favorite book of all time is Prince Ombra, by Roderick McLeish. It’s hard to find the original version, (The re-edited for middle grade and it’s not nearly as good) but I have loaned out my beloved copy many times. It’s my dream to one day write the screenplay.

If you couldn’t make movies or write books, what would your dream job be?

Getting paid to travel and have adventures.

And a bit out of left field, would you rather be bitten by a zombie or bitten by a shark?


Shark. I grew up in Hawaii—I’m willing to risk a shark bite for being in those beautiful waters.

Ok, I think you survived enough for today!  Thanks so much for meeting with me, I appreciate your time!

Thanks, Liz--those were fun questions to answer!