News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Spiritus - Dana Michelle Burnett

Title: Spiritus, a Paranormal Romance (Spiritus Series, Book #1)

Author: Dana Michelle Burnett

Format: Ebook provided by author for review. 

From Goodreads:
A love that refuses to die…

“As I watched him vanish into a soft mist that faded away, I knew that he was no ordinary spirit…I knew that he was a dangerous entity that could be in some corner of another realm planning his revenge, but I also knew that I was hopelessly in love with him.”

When Becca moves into her ancestral home in Corydon, Indiana, her life takes a puzzling and thrilling turn when she meets the ghost haunting the halls. As the seductive spirit lures her closer and closer, she learns about her own past and starts to understand that some mistakes are meant to last.

Becca McAllister has always been different from other girls her age. Never part of the "in crowd", Becca never really fit in anywhere. When her mother dies and her father moves them to the small town of Corydon, Indiana, Becca didn't expect things to change.

But things do change when Becca accidentally makes contact with a one hundred and sixty year old ghost, Alastor Sinclair, that haunts the halls of her new home.

To Becca, Alastor is a seductive spirit that seems to see straight into her soul. To Alastor, Becca is what he was waited a century for--A second chance.

But the closer they get, the more Becca realizes that this isn't the first time she and Alastor have known each other. Worse still, is she the one responsible for his death so long ago? And if so, did he come back for love or revenge?

Ok folks, here ya go.  I am definitely adding this book to my favorites of 2011, and I absolutely can't wait for book 2.  Would it be wrong of me to want to email Dana every day to check when it will be released?  Ok, yes, that would be wrong - but that's how much I enjoyed this novel!

The story opens with teenage Becca and her dad driving to their new home, a house that's been in the family for generations.  There has been a tragic loss in the family, and they are trying to make it in a new place, a new life. 

Becca seems to be the average awkward teen, a bit shy and self-conscious. Alastor is a ghost, barely older than Becca, who died a century ago.  

My first chapter impression (as taken from my notes):  I love the attention to detail, right down to the doorknobs.  It really makes me feel as if this house, this town, is another character in the story.  Becca seems to be a teenager that you could easily relate to.  Her sadness and fears are conveyed so well, I feel great empathy for her. 

In the beginning of this book Becca is meeting all of her new classmates, and she makes some new friends.  One of them being the high school hottie, Jonah.  At first I was torn between Jonah and his beautiful good looks and Alastor.  But that all changed once Alastor started showing his deep and true emotions. 

"I have loved you in life and beyond"

*sigh*  Who doesn't dream of that kind of everlasting devotion?  I can tell you one thing, Alastor may have been dead for a century, but that man has some lines and moves that could make the toughest of girls swoon.  I was Team Vampire, then Team Wolf...this novel could nudge me to Team Ghost!

And speaking of ghosts... I was very nervous about this book when I received it for review.  How could a modern girl fall in love with a century old ghost? How could he love her back?  Dana Michelle Burnett effortlessly makes this a seamless transition.  There were times I could actually forget Alastor was a ghost.  But then those simple reminders would pop up, and you wonder "How is this going to work???"  I had to stay up late reading, I couldn't put the book down - I had to know. 

This book went by entirely too fast for me, I want it to go on and on.  The writing is beautiful, the scenery is gorgeous.  The emotions in the book... they are heartfelt and sometimes just heart wrenching.  They are strong.  And they will leave you hungry for the next book, I'm sure of that.  



Available for purchase at