News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Nobody Asked Me/Giveaway: Ratings Mania!!!

So for today's post I was sitting here going through my list of what to write about, and nothing is really jumping out at me. And then I thought to myself, "self, you are really tired. Go to bed." And so I did. And then I stared at the ceiling for like, an hour. It was ridiculous. Now I'm up, and I'm going to write a post.
I figured I would talk about ratings, lack of ratings, different kinds of ratings - and why I have no ratings.

 Cool?
Let's start with why I have none. One reason - because I suck at it!!! 

Seriously folks, I do. Goodreads for example. They give you a choice of 5 stars. No halfsies on this one, but all the time you see people saying "I give this 3 and a half stars" or whatever number. Pain in the derrier. (  |  )

But what's in a star rating? 
 
Say you like the way the writing flows, and the characters - but something happened in the book and it really irked you. Or worse, it really pissed you off. Hey, it happens! So then do you mark it down because it made you angry? What if you got into the story a lot, but you know the writing itself wasn't top notch? That's happened to me a few times. I know some people are very strict on writing - and even more so on grammar. But me? Not so much. I tend to rate emotionally. However, I don't do it like that for every book. Are you seeing where my problems come in? Too many variables!!! 

But yet everyone wants ratings on other sites (meaning Goodreads, Amazon, BN, etc). I really dislike it. I mean, if I am over the top about a book and it was exciting, the writing was good, and it evoked an emotional response from me - I have no problem giving it 5 stars! I will tell my friends, I'll tweet, I'll make facebook posts. I'll go all out. And I think that does more for the publicity of the book rather than my silly ol' rating. But what if its just ok? I tend to rate on a 3 star rating. 3 stars will mean I liked it. 4 is that it was really good. 5 means I want to marry it. 

But on my site? Nothing!!!! That is just too much pressure. I do like how some sites give several ratings, covering things like the heat, the story... heck, I've even seen some that cover grammar (overboard, much?) But do I ever pay attention to the ratings when I choose a book for myself? Not really.

And the dreaded 1 and 2 star ratings. Do I do those? I never ever leave a 1 star. Maybe I would if the whole story was killing kittens or something, but I wouldn't be reading that story in the first place. I don't even really leave 2 stars. 
 
WHY DON'T I LEAVE LOW RATINGS?!?!

 Simple. I don't want to discourage anyone from reading anything. Even if they are reading a book I hated, at least they are reading. And everyone has their own tastes. 
 
Ok, its nearing 2am. I'm not sure if I've made sense in this post, and my mascara is starting to burn my eyeballs, so I have to go to bed. 
 
I do have a giveaway!!! I don't have a picture!!! But trust me, it is awesome like all of my giveaways. Swagolicious swag-city!!! Bookmarks, pens, magnets, trading cards - a great big ol envelope of it. You want it? You got it! Here is a picture of a previous one, and the one you get will be very similar - but not the same!!! I'll pick a winner on Wednesday. International. Peace out!