News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Review, Sins of the Mind by LJ Garland and Debbie Gould




Title: Sins of the Mind, Red River Series
Authors: LJ Garland, Debbie Gould
Published: May 2012, Decadent Publishing
Format: Ebook received from Sizzling PR for reviewm
Seven years ago, Abby Montgomery survived a brutal attack. Now she is ready to put her pain in the past and move on with her life. The problem is, one by one the men in her life are being viciously murdered.


The detective assigned to the case, Ethan Parker, has demons of his own to hide. As the danger gets closer to Abby, so does Ethan. But can they get past his secrets before the killer gets to them? Sometimes the sins of the mind are more depraved than the sins of the heart.

Check out my interview with authors LJ Garland and Debbie Gould HERE


Suspense books, in general, are not a genre I generally seek out.  I find my success rate of enjoying them to be a lot of hit and miss.   Some I have loved, some I have….not.   That brings us to Sins of the Mind.   I loved it!  This book had so much going on, and it was organized and not at all hard to follow.  It was really terrific.

We start with Ethan who is a detective, and he is now following a bunch of gruesome murders.  And I do mean gruesome.  That aspect brings in a bit of the horror genre to this story.  And of course, the murders turn serial, and the suspense is really amped up.  Everyone is a suspect and no one is safe!

And what do all of these murders have in common?  The girl!!  In one way or another she is connected to each of the men that are brutally murdered.  But is she really connected or is it a coincidence?  Abby Montgomery is a woman who has had some horrible tragedy in her past.  But now she is trying to rise above it, just when all of these deaths start popping up.   I really liked her character.  Some of her reactions to things seemed a bit over the top, but then again, I have never been in her shoes so I can hardly judge.  But it definitely lends to the fact that this woman is on thin ice with herself, and she is barely hanging on. 

And that’s why Ethan is so perfect.  *sigh* Of course I loved Ethan.  Big strong manly cop?  Absolutely!!  I really loved how tough he is.  You can depend on Ethan, and I love that in a male lead.  He has a bit of “typical” guy stuff going on, he isn’t as forthcoming with secrets as he should be.  But his heart is in the right place, and that’s what comes shining through with this man.

Now, there are some other characters in this story who shall remain nameless at this point, to avoid any spoilers, but they are horrible!!  Like I said in the interview with the two authors, this story definitely is twisted in some parts.   And I don’t mean the story twists, I mean the people are twisted!  The murders are so grisly, you will definitely feel a bit of a shudder after each new body is discovered.  But it is written so well, you feel like you are on the hunt with Ethan.  You don’t get to know who the murderer is while Ethan tries to figure it out.  And that was a surprise in itself! 

Secrets, oh my goodness, the secrets in this book.  There were some points where I was just fearful that Abby and Ethan wouldn’t pair up.  I was really rooting for them, I think they make a great pair.  But Ethan isn’t completely able to escape his past, and neither is she.  And when the past, present and future all collide it is definitely a big cluster of a mess!!  The drama of their building infatuation and romance was terrific, and it was slow and steady enough that you really grew with these characters, and identified with their feelings for each other.  When you get to the climax of the story you will definitely be on the edge of your seat.  I really loved how nothing was as it seemed in this story, and each new surprise just drew me in closer and closer.

I think fans of suspense and murder mysteries will really enjoy this book.  I am definitely going to check out the next book in the series!


Follow These Authors...

And you can find Sins of the Mind here!