News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Other Brother Part 1 - Lauren Hawkeye and Tawny Stokes (Review)

Title: The Other Brother, Forbidden
Series: Part 1 of 3
Authors: Lauren Hawkeye & Tawny Stokes
Published: February 24, 2015 TL Books
Format: ebook received for review
Pages; 125 pages/Goodreads (99 pages/Amazon)

Simple. The consummate good girl, this is the word I used to describe my life... until my stepbrother Seth came to live with us. Until that point, I’d been a very good girl... but my older, emotionally blocked stepbrother made me want to do very bad things.

With him.

In the course of one night everything changed, and my simple world was torn to shreds. I wanted to hate him. I did hate him. Mostly.

But now he’s back. And nothing will ever be simple again.

The Other Brother is a novel told in three parts.


Back to my step sibling phase lately!  This subgenre really seems to be picking up a lot of speed, and people either love it or hate it, depending on the book.  In The Other Brother, the story took a whole new twist that I hadn't seen before.  That twist (which I'm not telling you!) was a bit frightening, but it really amped up the adrenalin of the story.



This book starts when Allegra is fourteen, and I think her step brother, Seth, is 18.  Maybe 17.  I'm not exactly positive on that.  There is also a blooded brother, Theo, who is roughly the same age as Seth.  Allegra fantasizes about very adult things with Seth, and once I realized she is so young, I honestly felt a little weird about it.  I don't recall wanting someone to touch me in such intimate ways when I was that age, but then again, that was a long time ago.  I do know that I definitely wasn't going to parties and getting drunk at 14, like Allegra.  However, nothing happens while she is young, I do want to point that out.  It's just a set up for what's to come.

Seth has an attraction, but he doesn't act on it.  Through a crazy turn of events, Seth ends up leaving in a pretty permanent way.  The step-family is destroyed, everyone going their separate ways.  There's somewhat of an unusual twist with Allegra that I thought was pretty interesting.  A lot of times, when something bad happens with the hero and heroine, they pick themselves up and become stronger.  With Allegra, it was quite the opposite.  She turned to sex - and lots of sex - at a very young age to fill her need for affection.  It felt like is a very possible and real response.

Then the book fast forwards, and Allegra is 20.  She's still pretty messed up emotionally, and Seth is.... a billionaire. Currently I am to part 3 in this 3 part book, and I still don't know exactly how Seth made all his money.  It's kind of irking me.  However, I do enjoy the rest of the story.

A chance encounter puts the two back in each other's path, and you can feel the sparks.  However, the locale seems a bit odd.  It does factor in through the rest of the story, so it does work, ultimately.  But I think it would work even without it, and the result of the locale (hello, vague much??)

Overall, this is a pretty good book.  It's got some exciting and dangerous events, along with some super hot sex.  Each release is pretty short, and they are released close together so that helps for those of us who don't like to wait.   Later on I'll review parts 2 and 3 together, but for now I wanted to give you a bit of an intro to the series.


Buy It!