News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

On The Way Home is a hard hitting and exciting novel! (Skye Warren)

Title: On The Way Home
Series: standalone
Author: Skye Warren
Published: May 2014
Format: Ebook received for review

Clint
For eight months I’ve been deep under cover as a special operator in the Army. On the plane ride home, all I want is a hot shower and a long sleep. But a Dear John text message leaves me stranded. I need a ride and a place to stay, and the pretty stewardess is more than willing.

Della
It’s supposed to be a simple trade—the passenger in seat 34B for my sister. But the sexy soldier is more than I can handle in all the best ways. He trusts me, but I can’t save him. No one can. Sometimes trouble has a way of following you home.

On the Way Home is a dark new adult romance intended for readers over eighteen.

I read this book a couple weeks ago and I absolutely fell in love with it.  I mean, not only is Skye Warren one of my top 5 favorite authors ever, but this book is a perfect example of why.  First, its New Adult...but not just that, it's dark.  And this one kind of puts the heroine in the power position, which is not something I always go for.  But Skye made this book dangerous, steamy, intense and emotional all in one fell swoop.



Let's start with the characters.  First we meet Clint, military sexy beast.  He's on a plane and he's having so many mixed emotions, it's fair to say he's a bit scattered.  His girlfriend has left him...via text!!!  The bitch!!! Plus there's the emotional and adrenaline release of his secret op mission.  And then he sees the stewardess, who stirs something with him.   Clint doesn't seem very much like the Alpha hero...  Well, that's not true.  When it comes to being a man, being a soldier, being himself, he is.  But when it comes to women, he's not afraid to give up the control.  In fact, he craves that loss. I wasn't sure I would like that, but when it came down to it later in the story, I was panting like a dog in heat.

Then we meet Della.  I had a really hard time warming up to her.  Even by the end of the book I wasn't completely at 100%.  But she was still a multidimensional and fascinating character, and there's no rule saying we have to love each character to love the book!  Anyway - she's the stewardess.  She's going through her own turmoil.  See, her sister is in trouble.  She's mixed up with some very bad people, and Della has somehow got herself wound up in it.  She made a deal, turn in Clint, whom she doesn't know, and Caro (her sister) will be returned unharmed.  Sounds easy, right?  This is why I didn't like her - because I did like Clint, and she had to lie and manipulate him.  Yes, there was regret and all that.  But she toyed with him on such a base level, I just felt like I couldn't like her.  She was setting him up, damnit!! Yes, I know she doesn't want to, but "want" doesn't change reality!

Her gaze dipped down, sliding along my chest and lower, lower, to where I'd suddenly begun to harden.  Fuck, that was hot.  Incredibly, impossibly hot to see her look at me like I was a slab of meat and she was a goddamned lioness.  And I wanted to get eaten - oh, I surely did.  Had wanted that since I'd first caught a glimpse of her walking toward me down the airplane aisle. 

The trade in doesn't happen immediately, which gives Della and Clint time to get to know each other.  To get under the other's skin.  And that they do.  They talk and get to know little tidbits that people who date each other learn.  They have some mind blowing kinky sex.  They get close.  But all the while, I'm just sitting there feeling bad for Clint.

Monsters came in all shapes and sizes.  They wore custom designer suits and stewardess uniforms.  They gave you a job as a stripper or went down on you to help you sleep, but those were just part of the lure.  Because when you had learned to trust the monster, when you let your guard down, that's when you got eaten.

When it came down to the action, it definitely revved up.  Skye Warren definitely knows how to infuse just the right amount of high speed energy and intensity, to mix with the emotional side of things, to make a well rounded complete story.  Della's stuck between a rock and a hard place, Clint is a bit down on himself.  She's a bit Domme, he's a bit sub... there's a lot of match ups that just really get the story going.

So yep, I think you should read this.  If you are a fan of Skye Warren's, I think this book is a bit different than her usual - at least from the titles I've read, but still recognizable in her usual flair for suspense and sex.  It was a quick read for me, and in the end, I was satisfied with how everything turned out!