News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

August is one hell of a vampire in Blood Mate! (Kitty Thomas)

Title: Blood Mate
Series: Standalone
Author: Kitty Thomas
Published: January 30, 2014 - Burlesque Press
Format: Ebook received for review

Blood Mate, a dark fairy tale... 

Nicole has been happily married to big shot attorney, Dominic Rose for ten years, but soon after their anniversary he grows cold—as if she doesn’t exist. Meanwhile, another man has been pursuing her far too intently for comfort.

August Corinth is a six-hundred-year-old vampire, cursed to kill and suffer the pain of his victims each night until he can find the one woman who can resist his thrall, his blood mate. Once he’s found her, there are no lines he won’t cross to claim the promised salvation even if it means taking away everything and everyone she loves.

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction, and the author does not endorse or condone any of this book’s content in a real world setting. This work is intended for an emotionally mature, adult audience

Blood Mate... It was a good book, overall.  It had a strong premise.  But honestly - by the end, it lost me.  I had super high hopes for this.  I was hoping August was every bit the sexy dark anti-hero that Christian was from The Last Girl.  He had his moments...



August is a very old vampire.  In fact, he's cursed with vampirism.  He doesn't want to kill to survive, but he has to.  And it's killing his soul.  He can't take it.  There is the legend of the Blood Mate.  The one who can feed you forever without dying.  His hope of finding this mate is all but lost, until he does find her.  As for August himself, I liked him.  He was frustrated and miserable.  In the end, he did the only thing he could and he took Nicole.  Maybe he didn't really think the plan through, didn't take the best avenue he could.  But hey, when you are at the end of your rope, you just swing.

And the Blood Mate?  Nicole.  She's living her fantasy life with the man of her dreams, until she crosses paths with August.  Instinctually she knows to stay away from him.  But he has the power over everyone's mind, and he does something... well, heinous.  As for her, individually - I really liked her.  She tried to be strong, to hold out against the ancient vampire.  When things got dicey, and she found herself in lock up, I loved her reactions.  It was interesting to see how at first she hated him, but then she began to desire and depend on August.  She never forgot her husband, and he played a pretty major role in the story.

But near the end, I felt it unravel.  August had to rescue Nicole from several situations.  She tried to run, she got locked away, she bargained with him all she could.  But then circumstances bring another vampire into their world, and I just was not having it.  I didn't like that vamp, and I didn't like how they came to be there.  I didn't like the addition.  Yes, it was kind of interesting, but it added a wrench to the plan and I wanted it to go a little bit better for the at-odds-couple.

There are some things that are fantastic about this story.  There are several instances where we have to wonder - Is this a delusion?  Is it real?  Kitty Thomas did a magnificent mind fuck, and I loved it.  

But in the end, the last few pages kind of threw me.  I didn't quite understand what happened, nor the motivations.  Overall, would I recommend this book?  Sure.  Like I said, fantastic premise and mind fucks throughout.  Nice drama, and even some hot sex (always appreciated by me!!) Maybe you would have a better comprehension of the end than I did, so I'd say definitely give it a try!