News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Monday, May 26, 2014

I just loved Knight by Julia Sykes!

Title: Knight
Series: Impossible #2
Author: Julia Sykes
Published: November 2013
Format: Ebook received for review

Abducted. Drugged. Broken. I became a plaything, a possession. If I did ever have a name, I don't remember it now. Slaves don't have names.

My new Master stole me away from the man who tormented me. He saved me and took me for himself. I've found my salvation in his obsession, my freedom in his captivity.

Will his brand of rescue leave me more broken than ever?

Extended Description:
Lydia Chase has been abducted and broken. Her only escape from the pain is the sweet high of the heroin that her sadistic Master gives her as a reward in order to control her. She is found by FBI agent Smith James, and he is determined to save her. But the soul is much more difficult to heal than the body, and Lydia finds herself becoming completely dependent on the Dominant Smith, finding comfort in his control of her body and mind as their relationship becomes sexual. How can she ever become whole again if she can't learn to let him go and take control of her own life? Is this new form of captivity just what she needs to survive?

WARNING: Given the nature of this story, this book contains graphic violence and references to sexual assault, which some readers may find upsetting. It also contains BDSM.

NOTE: Knight is part of the Impossible series, but it can be read as a standalone story without spoiling the other books.

Knight was an awesome book.  I just love a tale that's dark and twisty, emotional and sexy.  This book definitely hit the mark on all counts.



So like the blurb says, Smith is an FBI agent on a raid, and he sees this woman.  She's definitely a slave, and an addict.  She's broken.  So much so that when he asks her name, she doesn't know what to answer, she answers "fucktoy".  She's a shell of a human at this point, only there for her Master, and he is absolutely evil.  Once a willing sub, she was basically kidnapped and turned into a slave.

Smith... I like him.  He has a bit of a dark past, but he turned himself around and turned into this wonderful and cocky FBI agent.  But on top of that, he's also a Dom, so that definitely spells f-u-n.  He's a good man.  And his protective spirit comes out as soon as he meets the girl.  He puts himself in a position to help her, and while it was unconventional, I have to give him credit for seeing past a clinical response and knowing exactly what she needed to survive her ordeal.

I called him "Master" because that was his title, his name.  But I hadn't spent every minute mindlessly serving him.  While I always had his pleasure in mind, there was more to our relationship than that.  He wasn't simply some remote entity that I worshipped; he was a man.  A wonderful, achingly beautiful man, but a man nonetheless. 

 As for the girl... you know she's broken.  Her speech, her thought patterns, everything about her behavior screams slave.  She's so far gone, she doesn't even know who she is.  But Smith represents a beacon of warm light and safety, and she trusts him.  I totally felt like I was her when I was reading her chapters.  The starkness of her existence was relayed so very well!

As for the storyline... I did find it enjoyable.  There was one point in the story I felt a bit of a lag, but it didn't last long.  I even would go so far to chalk it up to disappointment that the story was turning away from the direction I wanted it to go.  But as the girl learns, the past isn't always very far away.  And when her past rears it's ugly head it is downright terrifying.

If you like it dark and twisty, like I do, I think you will like this book.  I really love stories that feature love reaching through the dark stuff to find it's way out.  Julia Sykes did a fabulous job with these characters.  She even managed to make me care about another character, Clayton.  He's a Dom FBI agent too, and I'm very much looking forward to him catching hell in the form of a woman who steals his heart!

Like the blurb says, this can be read as standalone.  I hadn't read any other books in this series at all, and not once did I feel lost.  So if you wanted to jump right in with Knight, I'd say go for it!