News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review: Lord Midnight by Donna Cummings


Title: Lord Midnight
Author: Donna Cummings
Published: December 2011
Format: Ebook provided by author for review

GABRIEL DeVAULT, a dashing highwayman, lives to avenge himself against the uncle who stole his title and tried to kill him as a child. One night's robbery yields unexpected riches when his uncle's spirited bride-to-be falls into Gabriel's arms. Now his plans for vengeance include seduction of the innocent miss, in the home that once was his own.

MARISA DUNSMORE is blackmailed into wedding the cold and calculating Edmund DeVault, Lord Westbrook, to protect her beloved aunt. When her attempts to escape the upcoming marriage fail, she turns to the man she knows as Lord Midnight, entrusting him with her love, and her future.

Soon Gabriel must choose: saving the woman who stole his heart, or destroying the man who stole his life.

I don’t normally read historical romance… heck, historical anything.  I can probably count the number of books on two hands.  I’m a modern girl, I like the ease of modern conveniences.  But like I’ve said, occasionally I like to try to broaden my horizons.  Enter Lord Midnight.

This book was really exciting for me from beginning to end! It caught me by surprise, I wasn’t expecting characters that I cared for, beautiful scenery, and drama to rival any other.  There were words and terms that I don’t understand, since I don’t read this genre.  But whatever I guessed at what they were was probably not too far off.  I didn’t find it difficult to follow at all.  The storyline moves swiftly and I found myself excited each time I could pick up my kindle and resume reading.

“I, too, have a need to be more singular than the other ladies of my acquaintance, “ she said.
“That requires no effort, Angel.  I can assure you of that, “ he said with utter sincerity.  He looked into her eyes once more, and nearly cried out at the trust shining back at him.

Ok, the goods.  Gabriel.  Whew!  He was perfect!  He has a lot of tragedy in his past, and he is out for revenge.  He is dashing and sexy, intelligent and romantic.  I think I’ve developed a thing for highwaymen!  He is a bit hardened by the past, but inside still beats the heart of a lion.  And once he meets his lioness, well, all bets are off.  He was everything I hope for in a leading man.  He definitely made me want to swoon!

And then we have Marisa.  She has the unfortunate luck of being a woman in a time when women don’t really get to make their own choices regarding almost everything.  She is about to be married to Lord Westbrook, a man who appears to be wonderful but you definitely know something slimey is below the surface.  But she is not going to just go into a marriage without a fight.  She is intelligent and cunning, and for every plan that gets destroyed to free her from her invisible cage, she devises a new plan.  I really liked Marisa quite a bit.  Marisa is in truth nothing like she appears.  The times and circumstances dictate that she should be demure and obedient.  But in actuality she is strong, intelligent, and surprisingly independent.

As the story went on, and Marisa and Gabriel got to know each other a bit more I really found myself caring for them more as a pair.  I wanted so badly for them to be together.  And of course I can’t blow the secret, but I can say that when these two get together sparks fly!

Lord Westbrook… he certainly is a vile man.  He is more than just two-faced, he has multiple faces.  I didn’t like him, and he made my skin crawl.  In my mind he is a terrific villain, because at no point did I ever feel like “oh, I like the bad boy!”.  Oh no, he garnered no sympathy or warm feelings from me.  Every word and every move he made I felt like I had to watch for ulterior motives and sneaky behavior. 

This is definitely a story I would recommend to my friends, whether or not they read the genre.  Surprises and twists were plentiful.  Some of the events made me cheer!  I am definitely impressed and a new fan of the author, Donna Cummings.

Follow Donna Online....