News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Calling - Ashley Lynn Willis



Published: To be published October 2011
Format: eArc, provided by author.

Synopsis:
Mandy Hardy lost more than a breast to cancer; she lost her fiancĂ© when he dumped her a week before her mastectomy. Her ego bruised and her self-esteem battered, Mandy’s sure she’ll never fall in love again. 

Justin Seward is a headstrong Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer with a heart of gold and the supernatural ability to command the seas. He had to hide his feelings while Mandy was engaged to his best friend. Now that she’s free, he’s vowed to make her his.

Together, they may hold the key to each other’s salvation. But when Justin’s past catches up with him, and Mandy’s ex-fiancĂ© wants vengeance, they realize they might not live long enough for happily ever after

Right away I was excited to read this book.  I’ve read a lot of PNR, and this sounded like a premise that was totally new to me.  I was completely right!  I loved it!  Seriously, I started it Saturday morning and finished it Sunday morning – I couldn’t put it down!  And just a moment here to acknowledge the cover – it’s sweet and beautiful and I love the concept that the man is made of water.  I would love to see some fan art someday depicting his tattoo!

First thing, first chapter we learn just what type of strong, stand up man Justin is.  And we get a hint of what’s to come.  The author really made me feel like I was right there doing a Coast Guard rescue with him.  I could feel the fear of the people being rescued, feel the splashing cold of the water, and the courage of our hero.

Then Mandy and Justin reunite.  I like that this wasn’t a situation where they meet on day one and are forever soul mates on day two.  A good fire doesn’t start with an explosion, it starts with a spark.  This book definitely delivers on its promises.

There was a steady build up to the climax.  No pun intended, because those steamy scenes were certainly steamy! A single event caused a whirlwind of events and it left my daughter begging me to come play hide and seek in her room that went something like this: “mommy, come play hide and seek” and I replied “OK, I will – go hide and wait for me” and I didn’t go seek!  I just had to find out what was going to happen next!  (Yes, I did eventually play the game with her for those that may be worried ;) )

And then this story ended with a very well written epilogue, which made me so happy.  So many books just forego the epilogue altogether.  I am definitely not one of those people who likes to make my own ending up. 

All in all, I just want to say again that I loved this book.  So click on the link, or in my sidebar and show the author some love. 

This is a story that I’d love to see built into a series!