News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Under The Influence by LB Simmons (Review)

Title: Under The Influence
Series: Standalone
Author: LB Simmons
Published: May 11, 2015
Format: Ebook received for review

Dalton,

I loved you once. A love I thought irrevocable. A love I mistakenly believed could transcend both time and circumstance. Under the influence of my dimwitted, naïve, traitorous heart, I became intoxicated with what I now know was simply a figment of my self-indulgent imagination. So drunk on the feeling, I couldn’t see what was right in front of my face. So foolishly enamored, I blindly followed my heart into the depths of an emotion that would ravage me. 

Years later, I know now what I wish I knew then. I am stronger. Smarter. Tougher. I will not allow myself to be broken again. 

I loved you.

I raged for you.

I wept for you.

And now, I’m letting you go.


I've never read LB Simmons before, and from this blurb I was expecting a pretty emotional book.  I really wanted Spencer and Dalton to deliver the feels.  So did they?



Yeah, pretty much.  I didn't cry, but geez, this book definitely showed me how devoted these two are to each other.

You take two characters with troubled pasts and throw them together, they forge this bond as friends.  The friends leads to more.  And then in one instant it is all gone, or so it would seem.  The lead up to the devastation really laid a good foundation.  I really felt that this girl and this boy were really meant to be.  And when it fell apart, I felt the author took a unique spin on showing us how each of them faired without the other.

Imagine someone is your everything, and then one day they are gone.  Texts and calls are unanswered, emails even bounce back.  Closure is a real thing, and a heart that breaks without it never really fully heals. Five years of silence.  Five years of loss and just not knowing.  If it were me, it'd kill me.

LB Simmons really created a great story here.  Under The Influence delivered on all of my favorite points, and really made me believe that Dalton and Spencer were soul mates.  It was so easy to just lose myself in their story, their friendship, romance, love and anguish.  It was all right there.

If you like bad boys and alpha males, with people who are forced into lives they never would have chosen for themselves, then this would be a good book for you.  A lot of it takes place when they are teens, but it doesn't feel like a teen book. Spencer and Dalton demanded I pay attention to their story and fall in love with each of them while we all barrelled to the end to find out if there is a happily-ever-after.  Great book!




L.B. Simmons is a graduate of Texas A&M University and holds a degree in Biomedical Science.  She has been a practicing Chemist for the last 11 years.  She lives with her husband and three daughters in Texas and writes every chance she gets.

Under The Influence on Goodreads
L.B. Simmons on Goodreads
Website
Facebook
Twitter

Buy It!
Under The Influence on AMAZON  
L.B. Simmons on AMAZON