News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Me and My Shadow - Katie MacAlister



Title: Me and My Shadow
Author: Katie MacAlister
Format: Borrowed print copy from library


From Goodreads:
May Northcott is at the end of her tether. Her demon boss has moved in and is making life hell. Her scorching hot dragon lover seems to think everything can be solved with a fiery kiss. And worse still, she's being shadowed by her ditsy twin sister -- a naiad who simply can't seem to stay out of trouble. The arrival of a nearly-dead man on May's doorstep could be the final spark that sets light to their tinder-box world. And with dragon war imminent, it's looking increasingly like it will be up to May (and her watery shadow) to stop it before the fire consumes them all, and their lives end up in smoke!



This is the third book in the Silver Dragons series.  First, of course I loved it, as I did the other two.  This book had a lot more action, and a lot less firey dragonny mating.  I remember one, but there might have been more.  Anyhow, I believe this is the last in this installment of the series.  The Dragons continue their next book with the Light Dragons and “Love in the time of Dragons”.  However, I need to go backwards and read the Aisling Grey series.

It seemed like for a large part of this book May and Gabriel were apart, and when they were together there were a lot of other pressing matters to attend to.  I really would love to see the whole book devoted to just those two, but I suppose that is a bit selfish of me.  There was a lot of missing Gabriel, thinking about Gabriel… When they were finally together there was a dragon hunt scene that was fun and sexy and fresh. 

Ok, I’m finding it hard to review this without spoilers.  So here they are.  For those who want to read the spoilers, just highlight the text.  For the rest of you, you will (hopefully) just see white space.  If it doesn’t work, I’m sorry and you may as well stop reading now.

Ok, you’ve been warned… (and email subscribers, just stop reading now….)
Here’s my page break to help…


I loved that May had the dragon shard in her.  I loved that she was shifting into a dragon, and feeling more in tune with all of them.  I hoped and hoped she wouldn’t lose the shard and become “just” a doppelganger again.  I also wanted that dragon bit of her to stay for Gabriel’s sake.

Annnnnnnnd….. She reformed the dragon heart and lost the shard.  Or rather, removed the shard.  Anyhow, that’s where we think she is no longer dragonny.  She says she is a dragon, and in the context we all think figuratively.  But nu uhh!!!  Apparently the first dragon judged her worthy and granted her actual dragon shifting abilities, and who knows what else!!!  We only get a peek of this, when she reveals she still has claws during a conversation with Rene who somehow can sense it when Gabriel can not.  Then she says she will show him when the time is right.  I really hope this is shown in “Love in the time of Dragons” but I’m guessing I’m out of luck on that one.  Oh, and lets not forget that she gets free from Magoth!! I’ll be sad to see him go, but I’m happy for Gabriel and May!

Second spoiler:  Baltic gets away!!!!  Agathos daimon!!!  Like seriously?  That is one clever dragon!! 
Third spoiler:  Ysolde is not dead, and she is actually Tully, Dr. Kostich’s apprentice.  This is like the last sentence in the book.  So whether she knows she is Ysolde or is a reincarnation or what, we don’t know.  But the blurb for “Love in the Time of Dragons” says: Tully Sullivan is just like any other suburban mom-except she's just woken up in a strange place surrounded by strange people who keep insisting that they're dragons-and that she's one too.  So I’m kind of interested to see how that plays out. 

All in all, I give this whole series a great rating.  5 stars if I was the starring type of girl ;) I wish there were more, but it looks like things were tied up nice and clean so I don’t imagine there are more.  *sigh* 


And I found this video on youtube for this book.  Love it!