News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Dreaming of the Wolf - Terry Spear


Title: Dreaming of the Wolf
Author: Terry Spear

Publish Date: December 2011
Format: Galley, NetGalley.com

From Goodreads:
Terry Spear's debut Heart of the Wolf was a Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year. Known for her research into how wolves live in nature, Spear writes her werewolves as they would behave realistically, including pack dynamics, mating behavior, and hierarchies.

Werewolf pack leader Jake Silver is an acclaimed photographer. He sees a beautiful woman at the art gallery where his photos are on display, and his intrigue turns into wolfish protectiveness. Alicia Greiston has never met anyone like Jake-he's sexy, alpha, and totally irresistible, and he calls to something primal in her soul.
*sigh*  A man, an alpha male, a werewolf.  Could it get any better?  For years and years I was team vampire, there was nothing else of any importance.  However, I think the tides are turning and I am team werewolf.  How could you not be?  I have yet to read a story about a werewolf that is some wimpy little cowardly pup.  No way.  They are these big hulking alpha male men, ready to defend and protect their women and their pack at all costs.  *swoon*

And now I get to add Jake Silver to my list of favorite.  This book is #8 it the Heart of the Wolf series.  Which, embarrassingly, I didn’t realize when I requested the book from NetGalley.  Then looking through my kindle, I see I also have #5!! Whew!  Anyhow, this book easily read as a stand alone book.  There was no point that I felt lost in this world.  Everyone was described and everything fit.

This story’s heroine is Alicia Greiston.  Her mother was murdered six months ago, and she is out to avenge her mothers death.  She doesn’t want to kill the guy who did it, she just wants justice and wants him in prison where he belongs.  So she goes through training, she becomes a bounty hunter.  She may look like this petite little thing, but the girl can pack a punch and uses her feminine appearance to her advantage.  Usually she deals with female criminals, but now she has finally been handed the case she really wants.  Mario and his henchmen – mob guys.

Then we meet the hero male lead of the story, Jake Silver. Va va va voom, this guy has it all (as I’ve already noted haha).  Oh, did I forget to mention he takes stunning photographs?  The man is the whole package.  He sees Alicia, and instantly wants her – a human!

I really enjoyed this book, and all of its twists and turns.  There was a lot of action, and the picture was painted very clearly.  I kept finding myself waiting for my next free moment, itching to turn on my kindle and see what happens next.  Poor Alicia keeps finding herself in trouble, time after time.  These guys are proving harder to catch than she had anticipated!

And the love scenes were hot, and plentiful enough that I didn’t feel like the book was just about these two hooking up or, on the opposite hand, that they didn’t feel “it” for each other. They were hot together.  And the dreaming was an addition I really enjoyed to this story.

The author did a fantastic job dealing with the wolves in their wolf form.  I really felt like I was looking through the eyes of a wolf.  The great thing about shifter stories is you get this whole other layer of the characters. Sure, you get to know them as humans, but then you get to really know them – the true person – as their shifter self.  And in this book particularly, the way wolves interacted with each other and their surroundings really lent a realistic feel to the book.

I am definitely going to read the rest of this series, starting with book one.  Terry Spear has a new fan, and I can’t wait to start!

Available for purchase at: Amazon & Barnes & Noble