News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Entice by Rachel Van Dyken (Review)

Title: Entice
Series: Eagle Elite
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Published: May 2014
Format: Amazon Lend
Pages: 325 (Goodreads)

“As burns this saint, so burns my soul. I enter alive, and I will have to get out dead.”

Chase Winter let the love of his life slip through his fingers and into the hands of his best friend and mafia boss of the Abandanato family. Now that he's been given a second chance to right a wrong--he refuses to let his own selfishness stand in the way. The only problem? He's not fully in possession of his heart, so when Mil De Lange, the girl who's innocence he stole, and heir to the worst of the worst mafia families in the US, asks him for a favor. He actually says yes, not realizing that that one yes has the power to destroy them all. 

Mil's been in love with Chase as long as she can remember, but as the years went by, the love turned to hate, and now that he's agreed to help her, she's wondering if she made a fatal error. Because Chase isn't a teenager anymore. He's a hot blooded male, bent on owning every part of her body and soul, and willing to kill anyone in his path who dares stand in the way. 
It's time for secrets to finally be revealed...but make no mistake, it's going to take a lot of bloodshed for those truths to be discovered.

You've never read a New Adult Mafia story like this before...loyalties will be tested, lovers reunited, and friendships obliterated. Welcome to the Family. Blood in--No out. 


Holy hell.  This series is definitely amazing.  I've read three books, I'm about to start a fourth.  Next month there is a prologue reveal that I'm chomping at the bit to read, myself, so you'd better be sure to come back and check that out!


Taming her was like trying to steal a cheetah from the wild and expecting it not to eat you.


So this is book three, minus some in between books (like 1.5, 1.6 etc) Entice is pretty much Mil's story.  She's Phoenix's stepsister, and she came into power in book two as the new boss of the De Lange's.  There is certainly some controversy there, with her being so young and a female.  But you know what, Mil is something else.  Do not underestimate this woman.  I think she's got it all under control.  Mil is intelligent and cunning, but she is also smart enough to know when she needs help - which is why she asks Chase to marry her... for protection, yeah, that's it.  For protection.  Sure.  So, in a way, if you are a fan of the fake relationship theme, this book might be a good match for you, too!

"I will shoot you," Chase said in a cold voice.  "If you ever speak to her like that again, I won't just put one bullet through your head, friend. I'll put two, just to make sure you're dead."

Chase is an Abandonato, and they are the mafia family in the US.  He's a trained assassin (along with Tex), and for freaks sake - you don't mess with Chase.  I mean, aside from the love triangle with Nixon and Trace which messed his head up a bit, he is a formidable force, for sure. In Entice, we see Chase straighten himself back out, and find himself, really.  I absolutely loved him in this book.  Sure, before he was cute and cocky, but now he is a man.  Plus Chase and Mil have history, the losing their V-card kind of history. They pretend to hate each other, but you can tell there is a lot more to the story.  It's definitely not hate.

We also get a bit more of Nixon's perspective, which at first, I was wondering why.  But as the boss of the Abandonatos, I think it's important.  He's pulling the strings behind the scenes on so many things, he's really paying attention to everything.  He's a great choice for boss, he thrives on the control, the power; he thrives in a good way, which is even better.  And frankly, I can't get enough of him and Trace.

There are some certainly heartstopping moments in this book - and a bit of a jaw dropping at the moment for Mo, Nixon's twin (spoiler free, but I am feeling for Mo, that girl is going through hell right now!).  Hell, this whole book kept me on the edge of my seat, and I can't read the series fast enough.  Chase has really gone through the wringer in these first few books, but man - that guy has really grown on me in a big way.  Plus Entice also brings in a bit of the humor.  There are some great one-liners and jokes along the way, and it was a great break from some of the more tense moments.  And heat - there's not a lot of actual sex in this book, but omg, the heat is intense.  The connections between these characters practically jump right off the page.

His eyes narrowed into slits.  "One more rule..."
"Oh yeah?"
"You're mine."
"P-pardon?"  My brain wasn't expecting that.  I wasn't able to form words.  My body, however, arched toward him, having ideas of its own.
"Mine.  You're...mine." He said it simply, slowly, as if I had English comprehension issues.  "What's mine is mine.  Nobody lays a hand on you.  Until this whole fiasco is over - it's you and me.  I'll kill anyone who touches you, and if I see you look at a another man in a way I deem less than respectful toward me, your husband, I will not only end his life where he stands, but hold you personally responsible for doing so."
I just lost my ability to breathe.

I really love how this is technically Mo and Chase's book, but all of the characters are still very prominent.  We learn a bit more about Tex - and I am practically frothing at the mouth for his book.  He's even more dangerous than Chase, and even more of a smart ass than Chase too.  That is a swoon-worthy combo for me!  Don't let the Elect's age fool you - these guys are predators.  And yeah, I'm kind of attached to all of them.

Our story was evidence that sometimes when you try to write it yourself, you get stuck.  You can't see every possible outcome.  Maybe that's why it's better to let life happen - because sometimes it surprises you.




Previous Posts on Fictional Candy
Elite - Review

Elect - Review


Buy It!

Fictional Candy