News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Elect by Rachel Van Dyken (Review)

Title: Elect
Series: Eagle Elite #2
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Published: December 2013, Forever
Format: Personal Purchase
Page: 267

Would you die for the one you love?

Nixon Abandonato made his choice. And now he has to pay the price. Tracey is the love of his life, but being with him has made her a target of his family's enemies. The only way to keep Trace alive is convince the world she means nothing to him. 

Trace Rooks has fallen irrevocably in love with the son of her family's sworn rival, and she knows in her bones nothing can tear them apart. Until Nix suddenly pushes her away and into the arms of his best friend... But Trace isn't ready to give up on a future with Nix--and if he won't fight for them, she will. 

In the end, a sacrifice must be made. A life for a life. For what better way to cover a multitude of sins than with the blood of a sinner . . .

This weekend I read Elite, which I loved.  I loved it so much that I immediately bought Elect - and it blew me away.  Elect goes above and beyond Elite, and has absolutely guaranteed I am reading this entire series as fast as possible.



So where Elite was in Trace's POV, and we got to feel everything she felt - and feared, Elect is in Nixon, Chase, And Phoenix's POVs.  This book was beautifully written, I wouldn't want to change a single thing.

"And I'm yours?" Oh great, now I've pissed her off.
I gripped her face between my hands and kissed her mouth softly.  "Yes.  Whether you like it or not, we belong to each other.  I'm as much yours as you are mine - I don't share.  I want to freaking murder anyone who even so much as looks in your direction, or at your shoes, and damn if I don't hate those boots that Chase got you.  I want to consume you.  I want to be the one that puts a smile on your face.  I want to be the one that teaches you pleasure - me.  Not anyone else.  Sharing you - even by way of my cousin, who I trust more than anyone in the world - has to be one of the hardest things I've ever done."


Nixon, as the head of the Abandonato family, has the weight of the world on his shoulders.  For a young man in his twenties, I don't know how he does it - but he certainly seems born to do it.  But with the return of Trace into his life, everything is heightened.  In Elect we see his true voice, and it is beautiful.  Nixon is a genuine good soul...who sometimes has to do very bad things.  But he is so selfless in his love for his friends and family that he would freely give his life for theirs.  My hope through this entire book was that it wouldn't come to that.  He's so complex, but still you can see the glimmer of youth in him.  The connection with him and Trace feels like they are soul mates, and when they are apart I feel so bad for each of them.

"All it takes is one kiss.  One kiss can save you.  One kiss can ruin you for life.  And my kisses?  They better ruin you, Trace.  Because if they don't, then I'm clearly not doing a good enough job, and let's be honest - I can't really act to save my life, so my kisses are exactly what you should be worried about." I trailed my finger over her lips.  "Because my kisses are real - they mean a hell of a lot more than yours, and from here on out - I'm not holding back."


As for Chase... man, he takes a beating in Elect.  Nixon has asked him to take care of Trace, and then things get even more complicated.  I mean, he has his own feelings for her to contend with.  But the thing with Chase, he isn't quite as selfless as Nixon.  This is very skillfully drawn out for us, and we get a very clear picture of who is who, and why they are the way they are. Don't get me wrong - I love Chase and I want him to be happy.  But he just isn't Nixon.  It's not that he is lacking in some area... he just isn't Nixon.

And Phoenix... I don't want to get to far into him.  Let's just say that he is absolutely full of surprises.  I was on a teeter-totter for him, between love and hate.

He snorted.  I continued.  "It's to keep her safe."
"I know that.  Don't you think I know that?"  Anger filled Chases's eyes as his mask of guilt slipped off, and in its place... something I hated to see.  It was as if a knife was being thrust into my back and there was no way for me to pull it out.
Betrayal.
He wanted to betray me.
And there was nothing I could do except pray that when the time came... he wouldn't.

All three guys have this painful world to survive in, where a long life is not promised.  They each had their own downward spiral to contend with . Rachel Van Dyken did an amazing job of painting this picture so vividly.  The way their thought process works, the way they break down and get strong is stunning.  There is a crazy love triangle, a rat, death is knocking at the door, and these people are on the other side.

I don't usually go for organized crime books.  They are always kind of "meh" for me.  However, this series is likely to shape up to be one of my favorite series just because it is so complex and intricate, so beautifully written.  It's exciting as hell to watch everything unfold.  And tonight I'm starting book three, Entice.  I can NOT wait!



Buy It!







Fictional Candy