News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Odium Origins by Claire C Riley (Review)

Title: Odium Origins
Series: A Dead Saga Novella, Part One
Author: Claire C Riley
Published: December 2013
Format: Ebook received for review

When hell claws its way up from the dark depths of the earth, and the dead begin to walk again, for several people the zombie apocalypse doesn’t just mean the end of the world as they know it, it is also the beginning of a brave new life for them. For some it offers freedom, for others a deeper torment and unforgiving life than they ever thought possible.

The coward, the street rat, the hero, and the lovers, everyone has their place. What really decides their fate in this new existence, nature, or nurture? Who they become when the world goes to hell is the true decider on their own humanity, and will ultimately decide their fates.

Forever changed, they have to learn to adapt to this dangerous and dark new world before they become one of the living dead themselves.

Odium Origins is an accompaniment to the novel Odium. It contains several short stories featuring some of the characters that you loved to hate from the novel Odium.

Please note:
This novella may also be read as a standalone book.
If you choose to read it as part of the Odium experience, you can read it before or after reading Odium.

Not too long ago I read Odium by Claire C Riley, and I loved it. Of course, you can get that review link below. Now recently I read Odium: Origins, which is kind of like a prequel, but like most fans, I read it second – and I’m glad I did. Reading Odium first let me focus on Nina, and be angry with the rest of the characters like I wanted. I felt no sympathy for them.

Then comes Odium: Origins. We get the back story on Crunch, Duncan, and JD. OMG. Yes, OMG.
Ok, Crunch first. I *really* did not like this woman in Odium. In fact, when the end of the book came, I was highly satisfied with everything that happened to her. But then I read Origins, and ya know, she kind of grew on me. She’s still not my favorite, but…. I don’t know, you got to see her reasons for being the way she is, and you got to see firsthand what she went through when things went to shit. And then you also get the story on her and Mikey, and you can totally understand why she didn’t like Nina when she came along. Also, and this may be weird, learning more about her kind of shaped how I viewed her physically too. Now suddenly I picture her a bit younger, damaged, and softer; not quite so hard and cold.

And then there is Duncan, who I did like in Odium. I kind of viewed him as someone who was backed into a corner and did what he had to do. Now that we get his story – I am definitely not a fan, and I’m even thinking he got his just desserts. In Odium we learn that he basically played executioner to a whole building full of people, and now you get to see that in action. It just kind of made me give a sad sigh and a head shake.

We also get more of JD. Let me just say “whoa”. This man deserves some credit, because after everything he went through… I don’t know, I don’t think I could – or want- to survive. And yet he did. And he kicked ass at it. He’s in prison, and well, as it turns out, that’s not the place you want to be with the apoc hits. And on top of that, we learn about his wife and toddler child. His story… geez. Get some tissues ready.

And lastly, Jane and Steve... remember Steve, the impossibly drunk guy at the trailer?  Here's his story, and seriously, more tissues.  It was really a pleasure seeing how much Jane and Steve were in love and in tune with each other before the apocalypse really hit.  Steve was badass, and Jane was analytical and badass in her own right.  I don't want to spoiler their story in case you haven't read Odium, but hurry up and come on, because I can barely contain myself!

So next I have to read Odium II. I really can’t wait. Claire C Riley has a terrific voice, and her spin on everything feels fresh and unique, which can sometimes be hard to do. There are some apoc books out there where, in my mind, I mix up details with other books. But that’s not the case with Claire Riley. If you are into the apocalypse (and you should be), check her out.