News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Aflame by Penelope Douglas (Review)

Title: Aflame
Series: Fall Away #4
Author: Penelope Douglas
Released: April 21, 2015 - Penguin
Format: Egalley
Pages: 262 per Goodreads

The tables have turned. Now I have the power—and it’s his turn to beg…

Everyone wants to be me.

Maybe it’s the sway of my skirt or the way I flip my hair, but I don’t care. Even though their attention is the last thing I crave, I just can’t stop. I dominate the track, the speed rattles my bones, and the wind and the crowd screams my name.

I’m her. The girl driver. The queen of the race. And I’m surviving—something he thought I’d never do.

They all still talk about him. Did you see Jared Trent on T.V? What did you think of his last race, Tate? When is he coming back to town, Tate?

But I refuse to care too much. Because when Jared does come home, I won’t be here.

Tatum Brandt is gone. I’m someone new.

Man, I love this series.  It is undoubtedly one of my favorites.  Penelope Douglas ends it on a perfect note, revisiting Tate and Jared in Aflame, too.  If you haven't read this series, I implore you to.  Seriously - you will not regret it.



Truth be told, I never read book one, Bully, where we first meet Tate and Jared.  But I've gotten to know them through the series, and they've become as beloved to me as the rest of the characters.  But Aflame sent me into a bit of shell shock - Tate and Jared aren't together anymore.  What the....?? In a series where every single couple seems to be so perfectly matched, I can't even imagine one of them breaking up.  But they did.  And yep, my heart broke a bit for them.

But I can't be upset for too long.  Tate is awesome.  Badass female car racer for a hobby, she takes no shit on the track.  She has the whole group to help support her mentally and emotionally, and she's just trying to get back on the horse after reeling from her break up with Jared.  You can't help but love this sassy girl.  Her world is turning upside down in a lot of ways, but she is rolling with the punches.

Jared.  Ugh.  You know, at the beginning of this book he wasn't winning any points with me.  You know, the whole breaking up thing.  But luckily that didn't last very long.  I love how the men in this series are so tunnel visioned on their women once they decide they are "the one".  Jared is no exception.

There's some sad moments, and some scared-for-your-heart moments.  And OMG, the heated moments.... Penelope Douglas delivers in spades on everything you could want in a New Adult romance.  Seriously, one of my favorite series ever.  Can't say it enough.  And check out the end of this book, the epilogue is to die for!!!!

Penelope Douglas was born in Dubuque, Iowa and has a Masters of Science in Education from Loyola University in New Orleans. She lives with her family in Las Vegas.


Previous Posts on Fictional Candy

Buy It!