News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Thursday, March 22, 2018

I Stop Somewhere by TE Carter (Review)

Title: I Stop Somewhere
Series: None
Author: TE Carter
Release Date: February 2018
Pages: 320 per Goodreads
Format: Egalley

Ellie Frias disappeared long before she vanished.

Tormented throughout middle school, Ellie begins her freshman year with a new look: she doesn't need to be popular; she just needs to blend in with the wallpaper.

But when the unthinkable happens, Ellie finds herself trapped after a brutal assault. She wasn't the first victim, and now she watches it happen again and again. She tries to hold on to her happier memories in order to get past the cold days, waiting for someone to find her.

The problem is, no one searches for a girl they never noticed in the first place.

I Stop Somewhere was an unexpected joy for me.  And it feels weird to say that, because I felt sad throughout the majority of the book.  But it caught me in some unexpected ways, and was an amazing story.



I can't say what I expected it to be about, without spoiling it.  I was wrong in what I expected.  And when the twist presented itself, it was like a lightbulb went off in my head and I was impressed.  It felt like a cog that made everything fall into place.

But the story itself, it's sad.  You can tell that from the blurb.  And it's written that way.  The words on the page, they aren't vibrant and they don't pull smiles from me.  Reading from Ellie's point of view is a bit depressing for the bulk of the story.  But she comes into her own, and even though her circumstances are.... well, bleak, her outlook in the end is one of hope and contentment.  Not necessarily happiness, but she realizes a few things, and grows as a character and as a young woman.

I Stop Somewhere deals with some really difficult material.  I mean, the worst of the worst.  There are times it's hard to read.  But as Ellie sees it with her eyes wide open, I felt a responsibility to keep mine open too. If you can handle a story like this, I think it is a definite must read.


TE Carter was born in New England and has lived in New England for pretty much her entire life. Throughout her career, she’s done a lot of things, although her passion has always been writing. When she’s not writing, she can generally be found reading classic literature, playing Xbox, organizing her comic collection, or binge watching baking competitions. She continues to live in New England with her husband and their two cats.

I Stop Somewhere on Goodreads


Buy It!