News!

NEW Email
fictionalcandy@yahoo.com

****Comments have been disabled on posts****

**** I have not updated links since switching from fictionalcandy.com to fictionalcandy.blogspot.com The best way to review old posts at this time in in Desktop View (link at bottom of this page) and then using the post archive located on the right-hand sidebar of the page***

Thank you!

Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: C791 by Eve Langlais


Title: C791
Series: Cyborgs: More Than Machines #1
Author: Eve Langlais
Tour: No
Published: February 2012
Format: Ebook provided by author for review

Machines aren't supposed to feel, but this cyborg can't help falling in love.Assigned as a specimen collector for a captured cyborg, Chloe is intrigued by the machine disguised as a man. Kidnapped during his daring escape, he shows her that despite the chip in his brain, his humanity is not completely lost.Formerly known as unit X109GI, Joe is on a quest to discover his origin. While he doesn't find the answers he's looking for, he does discover that affection and lust aren't just for humans. But when it comes to a battle between logic and love, which side will the cybernetic organism-once a man-choose?Evaluating his feelings will have to wait though because the military isn't done with Joe. But their threats against him pale in comparison before the shocking discovery of project C791, the revelation of which stuns the rebel cyborgs-and ignites a fury for vengeance.

Well well well, this book is definitely something else. I’ve been trying to think if I have ever read a cyborg romance – I can’t say I have. At first I was hesitant about this book. I mean, sure, its Eve Langlais and she is an authorical (new word I’m inventing) genius, but cyborgs? Hot steamy love? I wasn’t buying it. And what do I think now? Bought!!! I loved it!!

“As for the screamed directive to march their metal asses out into space? In the words of the mechanic who repaired his arm, “Like fuck.””

The order came in. Destroy all cyborgs. But one is a self-realized cyborg, and he wasn’t going to go down – or out – without a fight. And he wasn’t alone. Y999SK also was aware. And they were going to help others achieve this awareness…. Just as soon as they escaped imminent doom.

I dare say this book was a bit different from the other books I’ve read from Eve. I mean, it was hot as heck, that’s for sure. It had humor in it too, definitely something I look forward to. There was action, check! The lead woman, Chloe, isn’t as snarky as some of the other leading ladies. She doesn’t have the quick comebacks and sharp tongue. But I still liked her. I felt like she was coming into her own while she was on this new assignment to collect samples from the hot cyborg below ground. And woman empowerment is something I can always stand behind.

“He’d allow her tantrum this time. But, in the future, he’d have to explain to her she wasn’t to look sad because he didn’t like it. It made him uncomfortable, which he found completely unacceptable. Of course, he wasn’t quite sure how he’d stop her from acting in that manner, but surely he’d find a way. He set his neuralnet to looking for an answer as he continued to kiss her.”

Then we have the cyborg….er, Joe….er, X109GI. Ok, I’ll stick with Joe. Joe is something else entirely. It was really interesting to be in his head and hear his cyborg thoughts. I can only imagine that added difficulty to try and robotize your writing voice. In either case this man-droid was superb. Definitely alpha hero worthy, with an added bonus of never ending stamina and perfect knowledge of pleasuring a woman. Now I just need to find out where to get me one… seriously, does anyone know where?

At first I was pretty surprised at how brutally these cyborgs were portrayed. Leave it to the government to spill the facts in their own fashion. But once you get to know them, and understand their plight, you’ll be cursing the human race too. Or at least the government…that is if you aren’t already.

Overall my vote says this book was exciting. The big secret is that ….ha! no, I’m not telling. But I totally didn’t see it coming! Suffice it to say it is awesome and an even awesomer lead in for a series. I just loved how these two characters interacted with eachother, the easy camaraderie Joe has with his other android friends. Everything rolled together seamlessly. Even definitely found the perfect balance of erotic romance, sci fi, and mystery. I already have F814 up on deck to read very shortly, and I can’t wait to get to it!

Have you read C791? What did you think?


Read my reviews on Eve's other books:


***Follow Eve***



Facebook